Re: Pusobnost

  • paul.sinclair
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 1999
      Hello Vit,
      for pusobnost pravni normy I'd say force, effect, [scope of] application, applicability of the law; osobni pusobnost = personal competence, authority, authorization, powers; mistni pusobnost = local, territorial jurisdiction; casova pusobnost perhaps effect in time & vecna pusobnost simply effect. Does this fit any of your contexts?
      Regards,
      Paul
    • Paul Sinclair
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 15, 1999
        Hello Vit,
        for pusobnost pravni normy I'd say force, effect, [scope of] application, applicability of the law; osobni pusobnost = personal competence, authority, authorization, powers; mistni pusobnost = local, territorial jurisdiction; casova pusobnost perhaps effect in time & vecna pusobnost simply effect. Does this fit any of your contexts?
        Regards,
        Paul
      • Melvyn Clarke
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 15, 1999
          Hi Vit,

          >How would you tackle an English translation of the Czech word: "p�sobnost"?
          >It pops up in legal documents and concordances such as: "p�sobnost pr�vn�
          >normy, p�sobnost osobn�, m�stn�, �asov�, v�cn�".

          A few ideas:
          P�sobnost z�kona - Scope of the Act
          Soudn� p�sobnost - jurisdiction
          elsewhere depending on context: (personal, geographic, temporal, material)
          area of authority, area of competence,
          area of responsibility, province, field, operation, range -

          I reckon this comes under Paul Sinclair's area of competence if only he
          could get through to us...send us a # if you agree, Paul.

          This being a real translation puzzle (teaser, even "stinker",

          Nice one.

          >Message for Melvyn, in particular: Referring to the chat we had the other
          >day about "verbal thinking", I have made some research on the issue.
          >Indeed, in Anglo-Saxon psycholinguistics, no such thing seems to exist
          >explicitly, and appears to be implicit, co-existing with "thinking in
          >images". This very idea seems to be more familiar to German region (Karel
          >Buhler, e. g.) and transduced to Czech from German. Still, I believe the
          >gray ("twilight") zone between the process of thoughts and its
          >transformation into multi-culture environment, as an essence of translating
          >process, deserves some attention.

          Cripes. I thought the alcohol was going to my head rather quickly that
          evening but now I realize the cause of my cross-eyed incomprehension. I just
          can't handle German psycholinguistics after 7 pm.
          Mind you, talking of abysses, I reckon that many translators are workaholics
          because they get _addicted_ to staring into the great chasm, the heart of
          ambiguity at the very core of life that yawns in the interstices of
          language.
          :L
          Start worrying when the abyss starts staring back at you.

          Must get together for a drink again some time soon, Vit.

          Melvyn
        • Paul Sinclair
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 16, 1999
            Hello everybody,
            I actually responded to Vit's question about "pusobnost" yesterday, but I didn't use the right address and the thing just got sucked into a sort of existential chasm. Are messages sent to the whole list to be addressed to Czechlist@onelist.com ?

            For pusobnost pravni normy I'd say force, effect, [scope of] application, applicability of the law; osobni pusobnost = personal competence, authority, authorization, powers, purview; mistni pusobnost = local, territorial jurisdiction; casova pusobnost temporary effect; vecna pusobnost simply effect. Do these fit your contexts?
            Regards,
            Paul