Re: Zen and the art of translation

  • kanadan2003
    Message 1 of 88 , Sep 2, 2003
      Or as Dominik Lukes has pointed out, there are little words
      like 'pak' and 'totiz', which can act as 'attitude indicators' (I
      must admit that I have difficulty grasping how they work as such).
      Or how about 'snad' in such sentences as 'to snad neni
      pravda!' 'snad si nemyslis, ze jsem to udelal ja?', 'a mam se snad
      posrat?' 'a mam snad blejt krev?', 'snad jsi svepravnej' atp?

      > Any other ideas about inherently expressive devices in Czech,
      anybody?

      > M.

      The "snad" in "To snad neni pravda!" certainly does indicate an
      attitude; however, "To snad neni pravda!" is an altogether different
      sentence than "To neni pravda!" and it's quite clear how and
      why "snad" is and must be included to achieve the effect of "You
      must be joking!" (one variant) and convey the speaker's sense of
      consternation, bemusement, or amazement. In the other examples,
      it's as essential as the "Perhaps you'd like me to.../Maybe you
      think I should..." and the "...ain't you?/...right?" components that
      give these utterance teeth -- and tongue. So, yeah, it's about
      attitude, man; but it's also about communicatin'. You dig? :-)

      Darian
      Message 88 of 88 , Sep 18, 2003
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Mgr. Lenka Mandryszov� <iona@v...> wrote:
        > Helga is
        > right about changing the meaning when leaving out an important word, but we
        > cannot generalize it and only examples can be, IMHO, discussed here.

        Very true. I shall send examples as I find them in weeks and months to come.

        > There is a very good article about the problem (in legalese) in the latest
        > issue of ToP (Paul Sinclair - Neznalost zakona neomlouva) which aims at
        > de-mystifying legalese (common attitude to legal "speech").

        Paul sent me the article recently. I shall try to put it up on the Czechlist homepage in the near future.