Re: Zen and the art of translation

  • kanadan2003
    Message 1 of 88 , Sep 2, 2003
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

      I'm a little annoyed by her use of the word "chudsi", and it always
      > strikes me that Czechs who claim English to be "chuda" in one
      respect or another
      > tend not to realize how "chudy" their own command of English is.
      > Jamie

      You go, Jamie! (Just don't be tellin' my wife I been sayin' that!)

      Darian
      Message 88 of 88 , Sep 18, 2003
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Mgr. Lenka Mandryszov� <iona@v...> wrote:
        > Helga is
        > right about changing the meaning when leaving out an important word, but we
        > cannot generalize it and only examples can be, IMHO, discussed here.

        Very true. I shall send examples as I find them in weeks and months to come.

        > There is a very good article about the problem (in legalese) in the latest
        > issue of ToP (Paul Sinclair - Neznalost zakona neomlouva) which aims at
        > de-mystifying legalese (common attitude to legal "speech").

        Paul sent me the article recently. I shall try to put it up on the Czechlist homepage in the near future.