Re: Zen and the art of translation

    Message 1 of 88 , Sep 2, 2003
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

      >it has to use a foreign word for "frustration".
      I had a class of educated professional people once, none of which knew the =meaning of the Czech word "frustrace".

      Maybe they were just taking the Mickey and trying to make you feel frustrated. :-)

      On the other hand, English doesn't have
      > "skodalibí", so it had to borrow "schadenfreude" from German.

      Gleeful?

      Message 88 of 88 , Sep 18, 2003
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Mgr. Lenka Mandryszov� <iona@v...> wrote:
        > Helga is
        > right about changing the meaning when leaving out an important word, but we
        > cannot generalize it and only examples can be, IMHO, discussed here.

        Very true. I shall send examples as I find them in weeks and months to come.

        > There is a very good article about the problem (in legalese) in the latest
        > issue of ToP (Paul Sinclair - Neznalost zakona neomlouva) which aims at
        > de-mystifying legalese (common attitude to legal "speech").

        Paul sent me the article recently. I shall try to put it up on the Czechlist homepage in the near future.