Re: [Czechlist] Re: Zen and the art of translation

  • Mgr. Lenka Mandryszová
    Message 1 of 88 , Sep 1, 2003
      Jamie wrote: I had a class of educated professional people once, none of
      which knew the
      meaning of the Czech word "frustrace".

      Jamie, I could hardly believe that an educated person does not know what the
      "frustrace" means. Maybe these people just did not know how to explain it in
      English.
      From what you write about Czechs from time to time one would presume that
      Czechs are big headed stupid never-wuzzers.
      Lenka
      Message 88 of 88 , Sep 18, 2003
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Mgr. Lenka Mandryszov� <iona@v...> wrote:
        > Helga is
        > right about changing the meaning when leaving out an important word, but we
        > cannot generalize it and only examples can be, IMHO, discussed here.

        Very true. I shall send examples as I find them in weeks and months to come.

        > There is a very good article about the problem (in legalese) in the latest
        > issue of ToP (Paul Sinclair - Neznalost zakona neomlouva) which aims at
        > de-mystifying legalese (common attitude to legal "speech").

        Paul sent me the article recently. I shall try to put it up on the Czechlist homepage in the near future.