Re: [Czechlist] ISSUE: EFL countries

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2003
      In a message dated 9/1/03 5:59:46 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

      > Is it true that English is the native language in South Africa and
      > Philippines? I have seen this information in a reputable source.

      South Africa yes (their accent sounds more or less Australian, because the
      countries were settled at about the same time).

      The Philippines, NO! There English has the status of a colonial language,
      more or less as in India and in some African countries. It may be co-official
      there; I'm not sure. However, a lot of Filipinos receive their education in
      English, and while they don't speak English with exactly native fluency, they
      claim not to have a good command of their native language because of it. In
      that regard they're like many French-educated Lebanese who claim to be very
      bad at speaking Arabic.

      At one place where I teach, the ESL students have to fill out an information
      sheet about themselves, and one of the question is what their first language
      is. Many people from Africa and other places will write the name of their
      country's colonial language, English, French or Portugese, rather than their real
      native language. When asked about it, they say, "That's the first language
      I learned in school." When you press them further, you find out that they
      think their native language, Twi, Yoruba, or whatever, is not a language.

      > It is my understanding that there are countries (icluding the two
      > cases above) where English is deeply rooted because of historical
      > reasons, etc. (also India, etc.) - with high penetration among
      > population. Is it OK to list the two countries above among countries
      > with English as native language?

      With South Africa, I'd say yes. With the Philippines I'd say no. There
      are still other countries where the official language is English, but the native
      language of the "English" speakers is really a creole. English is supposed
      to be the language of Liberia, for example, but when Liberians enter American
      universities, most of them have to take ESL.