ISSUE: EFL countries

  • kzgafas
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1 2:56 PM
      Is it true that English is the native language in South Africa and
      Philippines? I have seen this information in a reputable source.

      It is my understanding that there are countries (icluding the two
      cases above) where English is deeply rooted because of historical
      reasons, etc. (also India, etc.) - with high penetration among
      population. Is it OK to list the two countries above among countries
      with English as native language?

      Kostas
    • coilinoc
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1 3:14 PM
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "kzgafas" <kzgafas@t...> wrote:
        > Is it true that English is the native language in South Africa and
        > Philippines? I have seen this information in a reputable source.
        >
        > It is my understanding that there are countries (icluding the two
        > cases above) where English is deeply rooted because of historical
        > reasons, etc. (also India, etc.) - with high penetration among
        > population. Is it OK to list the two countries above among
        countries
        > with English as native language?
        >
        > Kostas

        Hi Kostas,
        I think it would be more accurate to describe it as an "official
        language". Although English is widely spoken in both countries and
        is probably the lingua franca there, it is by no means the native
        language of many people.
        FWIW, the official langauges of the Philipines are Filipino (based
        on Tagalog) and English, while in RSA they are Afrikaans, English
        and numerous African languages.
        HTH
        Coilin
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1 6:35 PM
          In a message dated 9/1/03 5:59:46 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

          > Is it true that English is the native language in South Africa and
          > Philippines? I have seen this information in a reputable source.

          South Africa yes (their accent sounds more or less Australian, because the
          countries were settled at about the same time).

          The Philippines, NO! There English has the status of a colonial language,
          more or less as in India and in some African countries. It may be co-official
          there; I'm not sure. However, a lot of Filipinos receive their education in
          English, and while they don't speak English with exactly native fluency, they
          claim not to have a good command of their native language because of it. In
          that regard they're like many French-educated Lebanese who claim to be very
          bad at speaking Arabic.

          At one place where I teach, the ESL students have to fill out an information
          sheet about themselves, and one of the question is what their first language
          is. Many people from Africa and other places will write the name of their
          country's colonial language, English, French or Portugese, rather than their real
          native language. When asked about it, they say, "That's the first language
          I learned in school." When you press them further, you find out that they
          think their native language, Twi, Yoruba, or whatever, is not a language.

          > It is my understanding that there are countries (icluding the two
          > cases above) where English is deeply rooted because of historical
          > reasons, etc. (also India, etc.) - with high penetration among
          > population. Is it OK to list the two countries above among countries
          > with English as native language?

          With South Africa, I'd say yes. With the Philippines I'd say no. There
          are still other countries where the official language is English, but the native
          language of the "English" speakers is really a creole. English is supposed
          to be the language of Liberia, for example, but when Liberians enter American
          universities, most of them have to take ESL.