Re: [Czechlist] sub-micron

  • Dusan Papousek
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hope I am not too late, I was too busy. Micron is certainly a unit of length
      (one milionth of a meter), sub-micron means less than one micron (in Czech
      "mikronovy", "submikronovy"). Note that "sub-millimeter" (in BE) or
      "submillimeter" (in AE) means
      smaller than one millimeter. "Sub-millimeter" (in Czech "submilimetrovy") is
      a frequently used term e.g. in communication technologies, denotes the
      wavelength of radiation (by the way, our mobile phones use submillimeter
      wavelengths). Micron is
      a typical dimension of colloid particles, too small for wavelengths. This is
      what I missed in your otherwise nice translation - in this case they
      probably refer to the sub-micron density of their chips or something like
      that.

      D. P.

      From: "Tropen" <yoschin@...>
      Subject: TERM: sub-micron

      Dear lismates,

      Anybody knows the Czech equivalent of the TERM please?

      Context:
      Sub-micron ISO 10360-4 results in tests at United Systems (CMM spec 0.5 +
      L/1000, UCC1 controller, 50 Hz filter, unknown path scan, test time = 70
      secs)

      My translation (too generic)
      Testy podle normy ISO 10360-4 provedene ve spolecnosti United Systems
      prinesly vysledky s minimalnimi hodnotami (specifikace CMM 0,5 + L/1000,
      ridici system UCC1, filtr 50 Hz, neznama draha snimani, doba testovani = 70
      sekund)
    • Tropen
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2003
        Dear Dusan,

        Thanks for your contribution. "Submikrometrovy" sounds pretty good but I
        cannot find this expression even via Google.

        I think I will use some kind of description...

        Tropen