Re: Two terms (found 'em)

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2003
      I found those terms, after a bit of round-about searching.

      "Statim" is evidently a type of stain test. "Kreatinkinasa" is creatine
      kinase.

      JK

    • karel6005
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2003
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:
        > "Statim" is evidently a type of stain test.

        "Statim" is an instruction to carry out a test urgently.

        See e.g. the explanation in the dictionary recommended by Helga:
        (http://www.maxdorf.cz/maxdorf/vls/):

        statim – lat. ihned. Oznaèuje vyšetøení požadovaná pøednostnì
        vzhledem k zdravotnímu stavu pacienta. Podobnì na receptu, srov.
        Cito!, Periculum in mora

        Cave! (& ave)

        Karel
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
          In a message dated 9/1/03 3:23:27 AM, karel6005@... writes:

          > "Statim" is an instruction to carry out a test urgently.

          Yes, in that usage it's equivalent to the English term "stat" (originally
          Latin), used in American hospitals. But this lekarsky slovnik is very
          incomplete and gave me some bad results, which is why I stopped using it.

          These "statim" tests were not carried out on an urgent basis, but were part
          of a battery of various tests done every one to two weeks, so the ordinary
          meaning of "stat" did not fit. There was nothing urgent about them, so I kept
          searching and found sites like this:

          http://216.109.117.135/search/cache?p=stat+statim+test&
          url=U9U1CuaopyIJ:www.volu-sol.com/images/PDF/INFO/Stat%2520Stain%2520Insert.%2520pdf.pdf

          "Stat and statim stains are modifications of classical Wright Giemsa and
          Wright stain respectively. The necessary buffer salts are combined in stain
          solutions, allowing as short as 20 seconds for staining time and the use of
          distilled or deionized water as buffer and rinse."

          This was the more likely meaning of the term in the context I was translating
          it in, and in that case it didn't need to be translated at all.

        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
            In a message dated 9/1/03 3:23:27 AM, karel6005@... writes:

            > "Statim" is an instruction to carry out a test urgently.

            Yes, in that usage it's equivalent to the English term "stat" (originally
            Latin), used in American hospitals.  But this lekarsky slovnik is very incomplete
            and gave me some bad results, which is why I stopped using it.

            These "statim" tests were not carried out on an urgent basis, but were part
            of a battery of various tests done every one to two weeks, so the ordinary
            meaning of "stat" did not fit.  There was nothing urgent about them, so I kept
            searching and found sites like this:

            http://216.109.117.135/search/cache?p=stat+statim+test&
            url=U9U1CuaopyIJ:www.volu-sol.com/images/PDF/INFO/Stat%2520Stain%2520Insert.%2520pdf.pdf

            "Stat and statim stains are modifications of classical Wright Giemsa and
            Wright stain respectively.  The necessary buffer salts are combined in stain
            solutions, allowing as short as 20 seconds for staining time and the use of
            distilled or deionized water as buffer and rinse."

            Evidently they are called "statim" because you get the test results quickly.