STYLE: Nezapomenutelne * zazitky

    Message 1 of 88 , Aug 27, 2003
      Hello all,

      Here's a bit of an odd stylistic problem. I have a letter from a certain Minister of Culture politely refusing an invitation to take part in a festival due to previous engagements:

      Dovolte mi tedy, abych alespon Vam a celemu tymu poradatelu festivalu popral, aby se Prix Bohemia Radio 2003 vydarila a prinesla vsem jeho hostum a ucastnikum nezapomenutelne rozhlasove zazitky."

      My problem is with the last couple of words. We NSs don't usually say things like "unforgettable radio experience(s)" in this kind of context, do we? It sounds very odd, doesn't it? Bit like John Cleese imitating a media presenter from a previous generation.

      It's not the first time, actually, that I've come across this problem of "preji Vam nezapomenutelne/prijemne .... zazitky" where the latter word seems to have a much higher collocative valency than its English equivalent. Just run "nezapomenutelne/prijemne * zazitky" through Google and in addition to the predictable 'eroticke' you'll find all kinds of stuff like 'astronomicke', 'zeleznicni' and 'archeologicke'. Such expressions can sound very stilted and convoluted when translated word for word into English.

      How would you deal with this? Quietly drop the 'radio'? Move it somewhere else in the sentence? Or somehow recast the entire idea of 'experiences'? I'd be interested to hear any ideas.

      I wish you all many pleasant web-surfing experiences.

      M.

      'Web-surfing' sounds a bit 1999 these days, come to think of it.
      Message 88 of 88 , Sep 18, 2003
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Mgr. Lenka Mandryszov� <iona@v...> wrote:
        > Helga is
        > right about changing the meaning when leaving out an important word, but we
        > cannot generalize it and only examples can be, IMHO, discussed here.

        Very true. I shall send examples as I find them in weeks and months to come.

        > There is a very good article about the problem (in legalese) in the latest
        > issue of ToP (Paul Sinclair - Neznalost zakona neomlouva) which aims at
        > de-mystifying legalese (common attitude to legal "speech").

        Paul sent me the article recently. I shall try to put it up on the Czechlist homepage in the near future.