RE: [Czechlist] Chranene bydleni

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
      >'Sheltered housing' or 'sheltered accommodation' in Britain.

      I'm not sure whether you're translating into britstina or americtina,
      but I don't think those expressions would mean much to an American
      reader. (If anything, I'd probably think they had something to do
      with buildings reinforced against severe weather. Then again, parts
      of my home town were trashed by a tornado a few months ago, so maybe
      I've got severe weather on the brain.)

      Michael

      Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (+1-817) 514-6413
    • Skrivanek Prague - Rachel/Coilin
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
        Hi Michael,

        > I think "subsidized housing" would do the trick.

        This would imply something different to me -- it sounds more like any type
        of housing for which you receive a (financial) housing subsidy (i.e. anyone
        on a low income would be eligible for it). Supported/sheltered housing
        implies there is some kind of additional support/care available, directed to
        the particular needs of the people living there (eg support with
        reintegration into the community for ex-offenders, help for homeless people
        aimed at getting them jobs/health care/social support, general care for old
        people...) Does subsidized housing involve that? What would large
        buildings with self-contained flats for elderly people and nurses/care
        workers on-site be called in the US? Retirement homes? I also see
        "assisted living" -- how does that sound to you?

        And Martin -- does chranene bydleni involve that kind of support? If not,
        then I guess subsidized housing would be fine after all.

        Rachel
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
          >What would large
          >buildings with self-contained flats for elderly people and nurses/care
          >workers on-site be called in the US? Retirement homes? I also see
          >"assisted living" -- how does that sound to you?

          Yup, both of those are used. (Personally I call 'em old folks' homes,
          but of course I wouldn't use that in a translation.)

          Michael
          hoping he never has to live anywhere that's "supervised by a warden"

          Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (+1-817) 514-6413
        • Barendregt
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
            Michael Grant wrote:

            > But it's [halfway house] also used for people with disabilities or serious injuries,
            > mental or physical illness, or addictions from which they are
            > recovering, who still require some assistance but are learning the
            > necessary skills to live on their own. AHD defines halfway house as
            > "A rehabilitation center, esp. for people who have left an
            > institution."

            I would agree with Michael - halfway houses are also available, among
            others, to runaway teens who simply cannot go back to their families and
            would not make it without help.

            Let me also add that half-way house is meant to be a house for people
            who are "half way between trouble and regular life"; it is interesting
            to note that there are also "3/4 way houses" where the supervision is
            very lose although there are people who come around to check if any help
            is needed.

            Tom