Re: [Czechlist] Chranene bydleni

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
      >Have you please any idea how to say "chranene bydleni"? (It means a
      >flat offered either by a Charitiy organization or government to
      >someone who is either disabled, homeless, or released from a prison
      >- just to pull up and get out of trouble). What I found in my dico
      >was "sheltered workshops" for chranene dilny (place where disabled
      >people can work and have a job) which I'm not too sure about.

      I think "subsidized housing" would do the trick. If it's strictly
      temporary, the term is "halfway house" (at least on my side of the
      ditch).

      Michael

      Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (+1-817) 514-6413
    • Radovan Pletka
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
        >I think "subsidized housing" would do the trick.

        Subsidized housing is used strictly for poor people, who don't have enough
        money, there are several types of the subsidy, main one is section 8
        subsidized housing. It is also synonym for poor housing, full of drug
        dealers and shooting

        If it's strictly
        >temporary, the term is "halfway house" (at least on my side of the
        >ditch).
        Halfway house is used for prisoners, who are getting prepared for civilian
        life, and they work during the day and come to halfway house to sleep in
        night, under lock and supervision of prison officials, at least at same places

        None of terms fits properly. I would probably use sheltered or protected
        housing in quotation marks and under it as a footnote I would write
        detailed description of what it is. if you are paid by the word, as I
        usualy am, I would love to explain every possible term and some (-:

        >Michael
        >
        >--
        >BLUE DANUBE international communication services
        >The Central and East European Language Source!
        ><http://www.bdanube.com>, <mailto:bdanube@...>
        >Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (+1-817) 514-6413
        >

        >Czech<>English translation resources page:
        >http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/Intro.html
        >
        >Czechlist archives:
        >http://www.egroups.com/messages/Czechlist
        >
        >Czechlist homepage:
        >http://www.egroups.com/group/Czechlist
        >
        >Community email addresses:
        > Post message: Czechlist@egroups.com
        > Subscribe: Czechlist-subscribe@egroups.com
        > Digest: Czechlist-digest@egroups.com

        Radovan Pletka, Czech and Slovak Services
        P.O.Box 11202, Burke, VA 22015, USA
        Phone703 323 6659, E-fax 561 423 8233, Mobile phone 703 980 8554
        pletka@..., RPletka@..., ICQ: 286 386 96
        www.czechtranslation.com - www.jobsfortranslators.com
        Publisher of the famous weekly job list for translators/interpreters -Feel
        free to request a sample (-:
        Subscription $30 per calendar year (or $3 per month if you are subscribing
        later in the year)
        (cash, check, VISA, MASTER and AMEX accepted)
      • Radovan Pletka
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
          Assited liuving would be much better, again with explanation

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
            > If it's strictly
            > >temporary, the term is "halfway house" (at least on my side of the
            > >ditch).
            >Halfway house is used for prisoners, who are getting prepared for civilian
            >life, and they work during the day and come to halfway house to sleep in
            >night, under lock and supervision of prison officials, at least at same places

            But it's also used for people with disabilities or serious injuries,
            mental or physical illness, or addictions from which they are
            recovering, who still require some assistance but are learning the
            necessary skills to live on their own. AHD defines halfway house as
            "A rehabilitation center, esp. for people who have left an
            institution."

          • lambotovi@netscapeonline.co.uk
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
              My husband said that the term shelters is commonly used (so just a
              shorter version of what Melvyn said) for charity accommodation.

              Martina

              P.S. Thank you for your advice on dictionaries.
              ---