RE: [Czechlist] Chranene bydleni

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
      >Hi listmates,

      Have you please any idea how to say "chranene bydleni"? (It means a flat
      offered either by a Charitiy organization or government to someone who is
      either disabled, homeless, or released from a prison - just to pull up and
      get out of trouble).

      Hullo listmate,

      'Sheltered housing' or 'sheltered accommodation' in Britain. I used to visit
      homeless people I knew in London in such establishments, which are run
      mostly by charities, as you say, while some are organized by local
      authorities, i.e. local councils. The state Department of Social Security
      does have emergency refuges for people who have suddenly been made homeless
      but I don't think it runs much in the way of long-term accommodation. You
      also get this name applied to special housing for pensioners where they are
      not looked after as much as they would be in a nursing home but there is
      always a warden around to keep an eye on things. My 81-year old mother lives
      in her own little flat in sheltered accommodation which is run by a
      non-profit organization called a 'Housing Association' set up by the local
      Methodist church.

      See you,

      FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
        >'Sheltered housing' or 'sheltered accommodation' in Britain.

        I'm not sure whether you're translating into britstina or americtina,
        but I don't think those expressions would mean much to an American
        reader. (If anything, I'd probably think they had something to do
        with buildings reinforced against severe weather. Then again, parts
        of my home town were trashed by a tornado a few months ago, so maybe
        I've got severe weather on the brain.)

        Michael

        Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (+1-817) 514-6413
      • Skrivanek Prague - Rachel/Coilin
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
          Hi Michael,

          > I think "subsidized housing" would do the trick.

          This would imply something different to me -- it sounds more like any type
          of housing for which you receive a (financial) housing subsidy (i.e. anyone
          on a low income would be eligible for it). Supported/sheltered housing
          implies there is some kind of additional support/care available, directed to
          the particular needs of the people living there (eg support with
          reintegration into the community for ex-offenders, help for homeless people
          aimed at getting them jobs/health care/social support, general care for old
          people...) Does subsidized housing involve that? What would large
          buildings with self-contained flats for elderly people and nurses/care
          workers on-site be called in the US? Retirement homes? I also see
          "assisted living" -- how does that sound to you?

          And Martin -- does chranene bydleni involve that kind of support? If not,
          then I guess subsidized housing would be fine after all.

          Rachel
        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
            >What would large
            >buildings with self-contained flats for elderly people and nurses/care
            >workers on-site be called in the US? Retirement homes? I also see
            >"assisted living" -- how does that sound to you?

            Yup, both of those are used. (Personally I call 'em old folks' homes,
            but of course I wouldn't use that in a translation.)

            Michael
            hoping he never has to live anywhere that's "supervised by a warden"

            Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (+1-817) 514-6413
          • Barendregt
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
              Michael Grant wrote:

              > But it's [halfway house] also used for people with disabilities or serious injuries,
              > mental or physical illness, or addictions from which they are
              > recovering, who still require some assistance but are learning the
              > necessary skills to live on their own. AHD defines halfway house as
              > "A rehabilitation center, esp. for people who have left an
              > institution."

              I would agree with Michael - halfway houses are also available, among
              others, to runaway teens who simply cannot go back to their families and
              would not make it without help.

              Let me also add that half-way house is meant to be a house for people
              who are "half way between trouble and regular life"; it is interesting
              to note that there are also "3/4 way houses" where the supervision is
              very lose although there are people who come around to check if any help
              is needed.

              Tom