Re: [Czechlist] Chranene bydleni

  • Skrivanek Prague - Rachel/Coilin
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3 7:49 AM
      Hi Martin,

      "Sheltered housing" and "sheltered accommodation" are both very common
      collocations, but they are most commonly used for accommodation for elderly
      or disabled people -- I don't think it's so common to use them for housing
      for the homeless or for ex-offenders.

      Search on google for ex-offenders and housing and you do find sheltered
      housing, but "housing projects" and "supported housing" are more common.

      HTH,
      Rachel
      ---
      See the following website for some more details of different types of
      housing support...

      http://www.penlex.org.uk/pages/nachous.html

      Housing Associations
      Housing associations also provide housing for people at reasonable rents.
      Housing associations generally fall into two groups - general needs and
      special needs...
      ---

      Housing Projects And Hostels
      This is the most likely source of housing for people leaving prison with
      nowhere to live. Housing projects and hostels are often run by special needs
      housing associations, but many are also run by other local organisations
      (such as, for example, probation services). They provide temporary
      accommodation but they will usually help you find somewhere suitable to move
      on to when you leave.
      A place in a housing project could be a self-contained unit in a building
      divided into similar units, or your own room in a shared house or flat.
      ---

      Emergency Accommodation For Homeless People
      If you cannot find anywhere else before you leave prison, you may have to
      stay in emergency housing when you are released, such as bed-and-breakfast
      or lodgings, or a night shelter. Some housing associations and other housing
      projects also run quick-access hostels which can take people leaving prison
      who have nowhere else to stay. Women who are unable to return to violent
      partners may have to stay temporarily in a women's refuge.
      ---

      Housing For Ex-Offenders
      These organisations provide housing for ex-offenders and other people. Many
      of the flats, bedsits, shared housing and hostel places they offer are part
      of a longer-term resettlement programme and can lead to more permanent
      accommodation. Some also provide housing places for people with drug,
      alcohol or other problems. Some may provide employment and training advice
      as well.

      NACRO (National Association for the Care and Resettlement of Offenders)
      provides accommodation with support for single homeless people in some parts
      of England and Wales. Ask prison or probation staff or contact NACRO for a
      copy of the leaflet NACRO Housing which gives contact details for NACRO's
      housing projects.
    • Melvyn Clarke
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3 7:51 AM
        >Hi listmates,

        Have you please any idea how to say "chranene bydleni"? (It means a flat
        offered either by a Charitiy organization or government to someone who is
        either disabled, homeless, or released from a prison - just to pull up and
        get out of trouble).

        Hullo listmate,

        'Sheltered housing' or 'sheltered accommodation' in Britain. I used to visit
        homeless people I knew in London in such establishments, which are run
        mostly by charities, as you say, while some are organized by local
        authorities, i.e. local councils. The state Department of Social Security
        does have emergency refuges for people who have suddenly been made homeless
        but I don't think it runs much in the way of long-term accommodation. You
        also get this name applied to special housing for pensioners where they are
        not looked after as much as they would be in a nursing home but there is
        always a warden around to keep an eye on things. My 81-year old mother lives
        in her own little flat in sheltered accommodation which is run by a
        non-profit organization called a 'Housing Association' set up by the local
        Methodist church.

        See you,

        FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3 8:32 AM
          >'Sheltered housing' or 'sheltered accommodation' in Britain.

          I'm not sure whether you're translating into britstina or americtina,
          but I don't think those expressions would mean much to an American
          reader. (If anything, I'd probably think they had something to do
          with buildings reinforced against severe weather. Then again, parts
          of my home town were trashed by a tornado a few months ago, so maybe
          I've got severe weather on the brain.)

          Michael

          Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (+1-817) 514-6413
        • Skrivanek Prague - Rachel/Coilin
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3 8:53 AM
            Hi Michael,

            > I think "subsidized housing" would do the trick.

            This would imply something different to me -- it sounds more like any type
            of housing for which you receive a (financial) housing subsidy (i.e. anyone
            on a low income would be eligible for it). Supported/sheltered housing
            implies there is some kind of additional support/care available, directed to
            the particular needs of the people living there (eg support with
            reintegration into the community for ex-offenders, help for homeless people
            aimed at getting them jobs/health care/social support, general care for old
            people...) Does subsidized housing involve that? What would large
            buildings with self-contained flats for elderly people and nurses/care
            workers on-site be called in the US? Retirement homes? I also see
            "assisted living" -- how does that sound to you?

            And Martin -- does chranene bydleni involve that kind of support? If not,
            then I guess subsidized housing would be fine after all.

            Rachel
          • Michael Grant
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3 10:51 AM
              >What would large
              >buildings with self-contained flats for elderly people and nurses/care
              >workers on-site be called in the US? Retirement homes? I also see
              >"assisted living" -- how does that sound to you?

              Yup, both of those are used. (Personally I call 'em old folks' homes,
              but of course I wouldn't use that in a translation.)

              Michael
              hoping he never has to live anywhere that's "supervised by a warden"

              Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (+1-817) 514-6413
            • Barendregt
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3 1:05 PM
                Michael Grant wrote:

                > But it's [halfway house] also used for people with disabilities or serious injuries,
                > mental or physical illness, or addictions from which they are
                > recovering, who still require some assistance but are learning the
                > necessary skills to live on their own. AHD defines halfway house as
                > "A rehabilitation center, esp. for people who have left an
                > institution."

                I would agree with Michael - halfway houses are also available, among
                others, to runaway teens who simply cannot go back to their families and
                would not make it without help.

                Let me also add that half-way house is meant to be a house for people
                who are "half way between trouble and regular life"; it is interesting
                to note that there are also "3/4 way houses" where the supervision is
                very lose although there are people who come around to check if any help
                is needed.

                Tom