Chranene bydleni

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
      Hi listmates,

      Have you please any idea how to say "chranene bydleni"? (It means a flat offered either by a Charitiy organization or government to someone who is either disabled, homeless, or  released from a prison - just to pull up and get out of trouble). What I found in my dico was "sheltered workshops" for chranene dilny  (place where disabled people can work and have a job) which I´m not too sure about.

      TIA
      Martin
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
        >Have you please any idea how to say "chranene bydleni"? (It means a
        >flat offered either by a Charitiy organization or government to
        >someone who is either disabled, homeless, or released from a prison
        >- just to pull up and get out of trouble). What I found in my dico
        >was "sheltered workshops" for chranene dilny (place where disabled
        >people can work and have a job) which I'm not too sure about.

        I think "subsidized housing" would do the trick. If it's strictly
        temporary, the term is "halfway house" (at least on my side of the
        ditch).

        Michael

        Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (+1-817) 514-6413
      • Radovan Pletka
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
          >I think "subsidized housing" would do the trick.

          Subsidized housing is used strictly for poor people, who don't have enough
          money, there are several types of the subsidy, main one is section 8
          subsidized housing. It is also synonym for poor housing, full of drug
          dealers and shooting

          If it's strictly
          >temporary, the term is "halfway house" (at least on my side of the
          >ditch).
          Halfway house is used for prisoners, who are getting prepared for civilian
          life, and they work during the day and come to halfway house to sleep in
          night, under lock and supervision of prison officials, at least at same places

          None of terms fits properly. I would probably use sheltered or protected
          housing in quotation marks and under it as a footnote I would write
          detailed description of what it is. if you are paid by the word, as I
          usualy am, I would love to explain every possible term and some (-:

          >Michael
          >
          >--
          >BLUE DANUBE international communication services
          >The Central and East European Language Source!
          ><http://www.bdanube.com>, <mailto:bdanube@...>
          >Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (+1-817) 514-6413
          >

          >Czech<>English translation resources page:
          >http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/Intro.html
          >
          >Czechlist archives:
          >http://www.egroups.com/messages/Czechlist
          >
          >Czechlist homepage:
          >http://www.egroups.com/group/Czechlist
          >
          >Community email addresses:
          > Post message: Czechlist@egroups.com
          > Subscribe: Czechlist-subscribe@egroups.com
          > Digest: Czechlist-digest@egroups.com

          Radovan Pletka, Czech and Slovak Services
          P.O.Box 11202, Burke, VA 22015, USA
          Phone703 323 6659, E-fax 561 423 8233, Mobile phone 703 980 8554
          pletka@..., RPletka@..., ICQ: 286 386 96
          www.czechtranslation.com - www.jobsfortranslators.com
          Publisher of the famous weekly job list for translators/interpreters -Feel
          free to request a sample (-:
          Subscription $30 per calendar year (or $3 per month if you are subscribing
          later in the year)
          (cash, check, VISA, MASTER and AMEX accepted)
        • Radovan Pletka
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
            Assited liuving would be much better, again with explanation

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
              > If it's strictly
              > >temporary, the term is "halfway house" (at least on my side of the
              > >ditch).
              >Halfway house is used for prisoners, who are getting prepared for civilian
              >life, and they work during the day and come to halfway house to sleep in
              >night, under lock and supervision of prison officials, at least at same places

              But it's also used for people with disabilities or serious injuries,
              mental or physical illness, or addictions from which they are
              recovering, who still require some assistance but are learning the
              necessary skills to live on their own. AHD defines halfway house as
              "A rehabilitation center, esp. for people who have left an
              institution."

            • lambotovi@netscapeonline.co.uk
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3, 2000
                My husband said that the term shelters is commonly used (so just a
                shorter version of what Melvyn said) for charity accommodation.

                Martina

                P.S. Thank you for your advice on dictionaries.
                ---