Re: THANKS

  • kanadan2003
    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 5 4:52 PM
      > But are you going to remain eternally shrouded in mystery, mystery
      contributor? Aren't you going to tell us just a little about yourself
      and your work? Now if you actually joined Czechlist, you would not
      put me to all the hassle of having to approve your messages. Tsk, but
      you are not the joining type, are you? I can feel it in my bones. You
      don't sign anything and you don't join anything.

      > M.

      Melvyn,

      O.K., I'll bite. I lived in Prague from 1993 to 2001, working for
      the U.S. Government. I'm still with the USG, just a different
      department these days. When I was in Prague once upon a time, I did
      a stretch of translation work on the side, but I gave it up after
      deciding it was consuming too much time. I also became frustrated
      with the "Coke-augments-the-increase-of-one's-enjoyment-level"
      (versus "Coke adds life") attitude that was pervasive among so many
      would-be translators in Prague at the time. I suppose things have
      improved... Anyway, these days, as far as Czech translation goes,
      I'm just a free-lance nit-picker with a nickel or dime to chuck into
      the fountain every now and then. I suppose I'm not as passionate
      about good translation as I am about the patently bad kind.

      Cheers!

      Darian
    • Hana Viansová
      Message 39 of 39 , May 24, 2006