VSE

  • M. Ginter
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2000
      Yes, they tend to call themselves "University of Economics."
      There's a lot of clumsiness in the way names of institutions
      are translated into other languages in Prague. I use "the
      Prague School of Economics" when I interpret, and my
      argument is that the impact of an expression in the target
      language matters more than being verbatim. When you hear
      "University of", you expect a geographical name to follow, and
      when you hear "Economics," it makes your mind go ... uh
      what? ... for a split second. A colleague of mine and I had a
      discussion with somebody from the leadership of VSE at a
      conference a few years ago, and they raised concerns
      whether "the Prague School of Economics" sounded
      prestigeous enough. Puhleeease! Once we pointed at the
      London School of Economics, were off the hook. :-) It's like if
      a College in Prague decides to call themselves a high school,
      then more power to them, but I'm not gonna stick to it when I
      do the interpreting. By the same token, I don't use
      "Paedagogical Faculty" but School of Education or Teachers'
      Training College, although quite a few members of the faculty
      refer to their school as "Paedagogical Faculty," and we co-
      exist quite happily.

      Michal