Re: some thursday morning fun

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2003
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Dohnalová Kateøina <Katerina.Dohnalova@m.=..> wrote:

      > Four fonts walk into a bar. The barman says "Oi - get out! We don't want =your type in here"

      Oh, NOW I get it. Yes, very good. Tee-he.

      Here's some of my favourite put-downs. Anybody got any good Czech ones?

      While you remain at home your hair is at the hairdresser's; you take out your teeth at night and sleep tucked away in a hundred cosmetics boxes - even your face does not sleep with you.
      - - - Martial, 1st Century AD (to a female friend)

      I would not want to put him in charge of snake control in Ireland.
      - - - Eugene McCarthy

      She's descended from a long line her mother listened to.
      - - - Gypsy Rose Lee

      Stay with me; I want to be alone.
      - - - Joey Adams

      They never open their mouths without subtracting from the sum of human knowledge.
      - - - Thomas Brackett Reed

      When you go to the mind reader, do you get half price?
      - - - David Letterman

      Thank you for sending me a copy of your book - I'll waste no time reading it.
      - - - -Moses Hadas

      He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.
      - - - Oscar Wilde

      He is not only dull himself, he is the cause of dullness in others.
      - - - Samuel Johnson

      He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up.
      - - - Paul Keating

      He was a solemn, unsmiling, sanctimonious old iceberg who looked like he was waiting for a vacancy in the Trinity.
      - - - Mark Twain

      He was trying to save both his faces.
      - - - John Gunther

      Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast.
      - - - Oscar Wilde

      She plunged into a sea of platitudes, and with the powerful breast stroke of a channel swimmer, made her confident way towards the white cliffs of the obvious.
      - - - W. Somerset Maugham

      She was like a sinking ship firing on the rescuers.
      - - - Alexander Woollcott

      So boring you fall asleep halfway through her name.
      - - - Alan Bennett

      From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it.
      - - - Groucho Marx

      I can't believe that out of 100,000 sperm, you were the quickest.
      - - - Steven Pearl

      I thought men like that shot themselves.
      - - - King George V

      The gods too are fond of a joke.
      - - - Aristotle

      We've been through so much together, and most of it was your fault.
      - - - Ashleigh Brilliant

      You have delighted us long enough.
      - - - Jane Austen

      M.
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2003
        On 8/3/03 8:21 AM, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

        > Stay with me; I want to be alone.
        > - - - Joey Adams

        Oh boy, new goodies for my sig collection. (Time to start retiring some more
        of the Dubya quotes I think.)

        Michael

        --
        I can eat glass and it doesn't hurt me.