Re: havarijni pojisteni, zakonne pojisteni vozidel

  • kanadan2003
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

      > In a message dated 8/1/03 8:20:26 AM, jjancik@n... writes:
      >

      > > dle pravnickeho slovniku pani Chrome - LEDA:
      > > havarijni pojisteni - collision insurance
      > > zakonne pojisteni vozidel - compulsory (motor) vehicle insurance
      (of
      > > liability for damage caused due to the operation of a motor
      vehicle)

      > > zajimaly by mne nazory, jestli je v takovych pripadech
      spravnejsi pouzit
      > > doslovny preklad ceskych realii nebo se pokusit najit obdobu v
      dane zemi. ja
      > > jsem spise pro prvni zpusob, protoze nemam jistotu, do jake miry
      se napr
      > > Fully Comprehensive shoduje s nasi havarijni pojistkou.
      > >
      > As far as I know, you can use those terms that you found in the
      dictionary
      > (and which I also gave you), and probably shouldn't go playing
      with terms that
      > exist in some specific country or start making up your own new
      terms. If you
      > translated "havarijni pojisteni" word for word from Czech, you'd
      get "accident
      > insurance", which is okay, but it's the same thing as collision
      insurance.
      > If you translated "zakonne pojisteni vozidel" word for word from
      Czech, you'd
      > get something bizarre that few people in English speaking
      countries would
      > understand.
      >
      > "Collision insurance" and "compulsory vehicle insurance" are very
      basic terms
      > that can be interpreted correctly by people, even if their own
      country uses a
      > different system.
      >
      > In some places, "Fully Comprehensive" insurance not only covers
      accidents,
      > but also covers broken vandalism and theft of objects inside the
      car. That is
      > not "havarijni pojisteni".

      I agree with Jamie; however, I would tend to favor "mandatory
      liability insurance" over "compulsory vehicle insurance," as this
      makes it quite clear what time of insurance is actually mandatory.
      Further, the word "compulsory" works better in the context of public
      schools and Olympic figure skating.

      Cheers!
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
        In a message dated 8/2/03 1:28:39 PM, bezdomovci@... writes:

        >I agree with Jamie; however, I would tend to favor "mandatory
        >liability insurance" over "compulsory vehicle insurance," as this
        >makes it quite clear what time of insurance is actually mandatory.

        "Mandatory" is a good word to use here too, but "liability" does not
        designate that the insurance applies to vehicles (which the Czech term did). As you
        know, you can have liability insurance for almost anything, including chocolate
        you've manufactured or the sidewalk in front of your house.

        >Further, the word "compulsory" works better in the context of public
        >schools and Olympic figure skating.

        I don't agree. I think "mandatory" and "compulsory" also work okay in an
        insurance context.

        Jamie
      • kanadan2003
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

          > In a message dated 8/2/03 1:28:39 PM, bezdomovci@e... writes:
          >
          > >I agree with Jamie; however, I would tend to favor "mandatory
          > >liability insurance" over "compulsory vehicle insurance," as this
          > >makes it quite clear what time of insurance is actually mandatory.
          >
          > "Mandatory" is a good word to use here too, but "liability" does
          not
          > designate that the insurance applies to vehicles (which the Czech
          term did). As you
          > know, you can have liability insurance for almost anything,
          including chocolate
          > you've manufactured or the sidewalk in front of your house.
          >
          > >Further, the word "compulsory" works better in the context of
          public
          > >schools and Olympic figure skating.
          >
          > I don't agree. I think "mandatory" and "compulsory" also work
          okay in an
          > insurance context.
          >
          > Jamie

          Jo, ovsem, ze tam patri i slovo "vehicle" a nevim proc jsem to tam
          zapomel. Takze by to melo byt "mandatory vehicle liability
          insurance."

          Na zdravi!