Re: [Czechlist] havarijni pojisteni, zakonne pojisteni vozidel

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
      In a message dated 8/1/03 8:20:26 AM, jjancik@... writes:

      > dle pravnickeho slovniku pani Chrome - LEDA:
      > havarijni pojisteni - collision insurance
      > zakonne pojisteni vozidel - compulsory (motor) vehicle insurance (of
      > liability for damage caused due to the operation of a motor vehicle)
      >
      > zajimaly by mne nazory, jestli je v takovych pripadech spravnejsi pouzit
      > doslovny preklad ceskych realii nebo se pokusit najit obdobu v dane zemi. ja
      > jsem spise pro prvni zpusob, protoze nemam jistotu, do jake miry se napr
      > Fully Comprehensive shoduje s nasi havarijni pojistkou.

      As far as I know, you can use those terms that you found in the dictionary
      (and which I also gave you), and probably shouldn't go playing with terms that
      exist in some specific country or start making up your own new terms. If you
      translated "havarijni pojisteni" word for word from Czech, you'd get "accident
      insurance", which is okay, but it's the same thing as collision insurance.
      If you translated "zakonne pojisteni vozidel" word for word from Czech, you'd
      get something bizarre that few people in English speaking countries would
      understand.

      "Collision insurance" and "compulsory vehicle insurance" are very basic terms
      that can be interpreted correctly by people, even if their own country uses a
      different system.

      In some places, "Fully Comprehensive" insurance not only covers accidents,
      but also covers broken vandalism and theft of objects inside the car. That is
      not "havarijni pojisteni".

    • kanadan2003
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

        > In a message dated 8/1/03 8:20:26 AM, jjancik@n... writes:
        >

        > > dle pravnickeho slovniku pani Chrome - LEDA:
        > > havarijni pojisteni - collision insurance
        > > zakonne pojisteni vozidel - compulsory (motor) vehicle insurance
        (of
        > > liability for damage caused due to the operation of a motor
        vehicle)

        > > zajimaly by mne nazory, jestli je v takovych pripadech
        spravnejsi pouzit
        > > doslovny preklad ceskych realii nebo se pokusit najit obdobu v
        dane zemi. ja
        > > jsem spise pro prvni zpusob, protoze nemam jistotu, do jake miry
        se napr
        > > Fully Comprehensive shoduje s nasi havarijni pojistkou.
        > >
        > As far as I know, you can use those terms that you found in the
        dictionary
        > (and which I also gave you), and probably shouldn't go playing
        with terms that
        > exist in some specific country or start making up your own new
        terms. If you
        > translated "havarijni pojisteni" word for word from Czech, you'd
        get "accident
        > insurance", which is okay, but it's the same thing as collision
        insurance.
        > If you translated "zakonne pojisteni vozidel" word for word from
        Czech, you'd
        > get something bizarre that few people in English speaking
        countries would
        > understand.
        >
        > "Collision insurance" and "compulsory vehicle insurance" are very
        basic terms
        > that can be interpreted correctly by people, even if their own
        country uses a
        > different system.
        >
        > In some places, "Fully Comprehensive" insurance not only covers
        accidents,
        > but also covers broken vandalism and theft of objects inside the
        car. That is
        > not "havarijni pojisteni".

        I agree with Jamie; however, I would tend to favor "mandatory
        liability insurance" over "compulsory vehicle insurance," as this
        makes it quite clear what time of insurance is actually mandatory.
        Further, the word "compulsory" works better in the context of public
        schools and Olympic figure skating.

        Cheers!
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
          In a message dated 8/2/03 1:28:39 PM, bezdomovci@... writes:

          >I agree with Jamie; however, I would tend to favor "mandatory
          >liability insurance" over "compulsory vehicle insurance," as this
          >makes it quite clear what time of insurance is actually mandatory.

          "Mandatory" is a good word to use here too, but "liability" does not
          designate that the insurance applies to vehicles (which the Czech term did). As you
          know, you can have liability insurance for almost anything, including chocolate
          you've manufactured or the sidewalk in front of your house.

          >Further, the word "compulsory" works better in the context of public
          >schools and Olympic figure skating.

          I don't agree. I think "mandatory" and "compulsory" also work okay in an
          insurance context.

          Jamie
        • kanadan2003
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

            > In a message dated 8/2/03 1:28:39 PM, bezdomovci@e... writes:
            >
            > >I agree with Jamie; however, I would tend to favor "mandatory
            > >liability insurance" over "compulsory vehicle insurance," as this
            > >makes it quite clear what time of insurance is actually mandatory.
            >
            > "Mandatory" is a good word to use here too, but "liability" does
            not
            > designate that the insurance applies to vehicles (which the Czech
            term did). As you
            > know, you can have liability insurance for almost anything,
            including chocolate
            > you've manufactured or the sidewalk in front of your house.
            >
            > >Further, the word "compulsory" works better in the context of
            public
            > >schools and Olympic figure skating.
            >
            > I don't agree. I think "mandatory" and "compulsory" also work
            okay in an
            > insurance context.
            >
            > Jamie

            Jo, ovsem, ze tam patri i slovo "vehicle" a nevim proc jsem to tam
            zapomel. Takze by to melo byt "mandatory vehicle liability
            insurance."

            Na zdravi!