Re: [Czechlist] havarijni pojisteni, zakonne pojisteni vozidel

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
      In a message dated 8/1/03 2:18:38 AM, martina.jakubova@... writes:

      > does anyone know the correct translation of these two commonly used Czech
      > terms?

      In the US, havarijni pojisteni would be "accident insurance" or "collision
      insurance", assuming we're talking about cars.

      I think that MAYBE zakonne pojisteni vozidel in the US would be "compulsory
      vehicle insurance".

    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
        In a message dated 8/1/03 8:20:26 AM, jjancik@... writes:

        > dle pravnickeho slovniku pani Chrome - LEDA:
        > havarijni pojisteni - collision insurance
        > zakonne pojisteni vozidel - compulsory (motor) vehicle insurance (of
        > liability for damage caused due to the operation of a motor vehicle)
        >
        > zajimaly by mne nazory, jestli je v takovych pripadech spravnejsi pouzit
        > doslovny preklad ceskych realii nebo se pokusit najit obdobu v dane zemi. ja
        > jsem spise pro prvni zpusob, protoze nemam jistotu, do jake miry se napr
        > Fully Comprehensive shoduje s nasi havarijni pojistkou.

        As far as I know, you can use those terms that you found in the dictionary
        (and which I also gave you), and probably shouldn't go playing with terms that
        exist in some specific country or start making up your own new terms. If you
        translated "havarijni pojisteni" word for word from Czech, you'd get "accident
        insurance", which is okay, but it's the same thing as collision insurance.
        If you translated "zakonne pojisteni vozidel" word for word from Czech, you'd
        get something bizarre that few people in English speaking countries would
        understand.

        "Collision insurance" and "compulsory vehicle insurance" are very basic terms
        that can be interpreted correctly by people, even if their own country uses a
        different system.

        In some places, "Fully Comprehensive" insurance not only covers accidents,
        but also covers broken vandalism and theft of objects inside the car. That is
        not "havarijni pojisteni".

      • Jiri Jancik

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

            > In a message dated 8/1/03 8:20:26 AM, jjancik@n... writes:
            >

            > > dle pravnickeho slovniku pani Chrome - LEDA:
            > > havarijni pojisteni - collision insurance
            > > zakonne pojisteni vozidel - compulsory (motor) vehicle insurance
            (of
            > > liability for damage caused due to the operation of a motor
            vehicle)

            > > zajimaly by mne nazory, jestli je v takovych pripadech
            spravnejsi pouzit
            > > doslovny preklad ceskych realii nebo se pokusit najit obdobu v
            dane zemi. ja
            > > jsem spise pro prvni zpusob, protoze nemam jistotu, do jake miry
            se napr
            > > Fully Comprehensive shoduje s nasi havarijni pojistkou.
            > >
            > As far as I know, you can use those terms that you found in the
            dictionary
            > (and which I also gave you), and probably shouldn't go playing
            with terms that
            > exist in some specific country or start making up your own new
            terms. If you
            > translated "havarijni pojisteni" word for word from Czech, you'd
            get "accident
            > insurance", which is okay, but it's the same thing as collision
            insurance.
            > If you translated "zakonne pojisteni vozidel" word for word from
            Czech, you'd
            > get something bizarre that few people in English speaking
            countries would
            > understand.
            >
            > "Collision insurance" and "compulsory vehicle insurance" are very
            basic terms
            > that can be interpreted correctly by people, even if their own
            country uses a
            > different system.
            >
            > In some places, "Fully Comprehensive" insurance not only covers
            accidents,
            > but also covers broken vandalism and theft of objects inside the
            car. That is
            > not "havarijni pojisteni".

            I agree with Jamie; however, I would tend to favor "mandatory
            liability insurance" over "compulsory vehicle insurance," as this
            makes it quite clear what time of insurance is actually mandatory.
            Further, the word "compulsory" works better in the context of public
            schools and Olympic figure skating.

            Cheers!
          • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
              In a message dated 8/2/03 1:28:39 PM, bezdomovci@... writes:

              >I agree with Jamie; however, I would tend to favor "mandatory
              >liability insurance" over "compulsory vehicle insurance," as this
              >makes it quite clear what time of insurance is actually mandatory.

              "Mandatory" is a good word to use here too, but "liability" does not
              designate that the insurance applies to vehicles (which the Czech term did). As you
              know, you can have liability insurance for almost anything, including chocolate
              you've manufactured or the sidewalk in front of your house.

              >Further, the word "compulsory" works better in the context of public
              >schools and Olympic figure skating.

              I don't agree. I think "mandatory" and "compulsory" also work okay in an
              insurance context.

              Jamie
            • kanadan2003
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

                > In a message dated 8/2/03 1:28:39 PM, bezdomovci@e... writes:
                >
                > >I agree with Jamie; however, I would tend to favor "mandatory
                > >liability insurance" over "compulsory vehicle insurance," as this
                > >makes it quite clear what time of insurance is actually mandatory.
                >
                > "Mandatory" is a good word to use here too, but "liability" does
                not
                > designate that the insurance applies to vehicles (which the Czech
                term did). As you
                > know, you can have liability insurance for almost anything,
                including chocolate
                > you've manufactured or the sidewalk in front of your house.
                >
                > >Further, the word "compulsory" works better in the context of
                public
                > >schools and Olympic figure skating.
                >
                > I don't agree. I think "mandatory" and "compulsory" also work
                okay in an
                > insurance context.
                >
                > Jamie

                Jo, ovsem, ze tam patri i slovo "vehicle" a nevim proc jsem to tam
                zapomel. Takze by to melo byt "mandatory vehicle liability
                insurance."

                Na zdravi!