Re: Help: abbreviation i.s.

  • coilinoc
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jiri Jancik" <jjancik@n...> wrote:
      > Good morning,
      > when touching this issue, could any native speaker kindly explain
      what is
      > actually the correct translation of "v.z." (v zastoupeni - when a
      deputy
      > signs a letter for the boss who is not present)
      > Thanks
      >
      > Jiri Jancik

      I would normally go with per pro or p.p. (as in per procurationem).
      Just be careful to make sure the order is A per pro B whereby B is
      signing on behalf of A.
      HTH
      Coilin
      BTW thanks for the suggestion Jarda.
      iuris scient seems quite plausible given the context
    • Jiri Jancik
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
        Thank you Coilin
        Jiri Jancik
      • kanadan2003
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilin@m...> wrote:
          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jiri Jancik" <jjancik@n...>
          wrote:
          > > Good morning,
          > > when touching this issue, could any native speaker kindly
          explain
          > what is
          > > actually the correct translation of "v.z." (v zastoupeni - when
          > deputy
          > > signs a letter for the boss who is not present)
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Jiri Jancik
          > >
          > I would normally go with per pro or p.p. (as in per
          procurationem).
          > Just be careful to make sure the order is A per pro B whereby B is
          > signing on behalf of A.
          > HTH
          > Coilin
          > BTW thanks for the suggestion Jarda.
          > iuris scient seems quite plausible given the context

          Gentlemen,

          Though I've no doubt per pro or p.p. both have plenty of academic
          credentials placing them in good standing with lawyers and
          professors, the most common usage in the business world and in the
          U.S. Government and the military is simply "for," particularly when
          a signature block appears at the bottom of a document, in which case
          the word is normally hand-written by the deputy signing for his/her
          boss. If this isn't a question of a signature, then the
          word "acting" is applicable, e.g., John Smith, Acting Director.

          Cheers!
        • coilinoc
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
            > Gentlemen,
            >
            > Though I've no doubt per pro or p.p. both have plenty of academic
            > credentials placing them in good standing with lawyers and
            > professors, the most common usage in the business world and in the
            > U.S. Government and the military is simply "for," particularly
            when
            > a signature block appears at the bottom of a document, in which
            case
            > the word is normally hand-written by the deputy signing for
            his/her
            > boss. If this isn't a question of a signature, then the
            > word "acting" is applicable, e.g., John Smith, Acting Director.
            >
            > Cheers!

            Hi there nameless person!
            Perhaps this is a UK/US usage difference? (or perhaps even a US/UK
            vs Irl. difference?) I have literally seen (and even received)
            scores of business/official letters etc. in English with p.p. or per
            pro written before the signature by the relevant person's
            secretary. You will also find both per pro and p.p. in the COED and
            other dictionaries (although considering the sort of documents I
            have seen from the sources you mention, these may be publications
            that the US Government, military, and indeed the business world in
            general, are not familiar with) :-)
            Best regards
            Coilin
          • kanadan2003
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
              > Hi there nameless person!
              > Perhaps this is a UK/US usage difference? (or perhaps even a US/UK
              > vs Irl. difference?) I have literally seen (and even received)
              > scores of business/official letters etc. in English with p.p. or
              per
              > pro written before the signature by the relevant person's
              > secretary. You will also find both per pro and p.p. in the COED
              and
              > other dictionaries (although considering the sort of documents I
              > have seen from the sources you mention, these may be publications
              > that the US Government, military, and indeed the business world in
              > general, are not familiar with) :-)
              > Best regards
              > Coilin

              Coiline,

              Jedna se pravdepodobne o rozdilne skusenosti. Nevim pro koho druhy
              kolega to preklada ale mate urcite pravdu, ze zadny prumerny
              american - at je to businessman nebo bigos - tomu nebude rozumet az
              tam uvidi zkratku p.p. bez ohledu na to jestli se to "skusenejsi"
              lidi najdou v jakemkoliv slovniku. ;-)

              Na zdravi