RE: [Czechlist] havarijni pojisteni, zakonne pojisteni vozidel

  • Elena Cuyen-Butterworth
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
      Martina,

      takto sa rozdeluje poistenie v GB:
      1) Third Party (povinne, cize zakonne, ak vrazis do cohosi, cvakas z
      vlastneho vrecka)
      2) Third Party, Fire and Theft
      3) Fully Comprehensive (toto Vam uz vlastne preplatia aj skody, ak ste si na
      vine vy, vhodne ak mate pekne auto - cize asi havarijna)

      S pozdravom,

      Elena

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
        In a message dated 8/1/03 2:18:38 AM, martina.jakubova@... writes:

        > does anyone know the correct translation of these two commonly used Czech
        > terms?

        In the US, havarijni pojisteni would be "accident insurance" or "collision
        insurance", assuming we're talking about cars.

        I think that MAYBE zakonne pojisteni vozidel in the US would be "compulsory
        vehicle insurance".

      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
          In a message dated 8/1/03 8:20:26 AM, jjancik@... writes:

          > dle pravnickeho slovniku pani Chrome - LEDA:
          > havarijni pojisteni - collision insurance
          > zakonne pojisteni vozidel - compulsory (motor) vehicle insurance (of
          > liability for damage caused due to the operation of a motor vehicle)
          >
          > zajimaly by mne nazory, jestli je v takovych pripadech spravnejsi pouzit
          > doslovny preklad ceskych realii nebo se pokusit najit obdobu v dane zemi. ja
          > jsem spise pro prvni zpusob, protoze nemam jistotu, do jake miry se napr
          > Fully Comprehensive shoduje s nasi havarijni pojistkou.

          As far as I know, you can use those terms that you found in the dictionary
          (and which I also gave you), and probably shouldn't go playing with terms that
          exist in some specific country or start making up your own new terms. If you
          translated "havarijni pojisteni" word for word from Czech, you'd get "accident
          insurance", which is okay, but it's the same thing as collision insurance.
          If you translated "zakonne pojisteni vozidel" word for word from Czech, you'd
          get something bizarre that few people in English speaking countries would
          understand.

          "Collision insurance" and "compulsory vehicle insurance" are very basic terms
          that can be interpreted correctly by people, even if their own country uses a
          different system.

          In some places, "Fully Comprehensive" insurance not only covers accidents,
          but also covers broken vandalism and theft of objects inside the car. That is
          not "havarijni pojisteni".

        • Jiri Jancik

            > 1) Third Party (povinne, cize zakonne, ak vrazis do cohosi, cvakas z
            > vlastneho vrecka)
            > 2) Third Party, Fire and Theft
            > 3) Fully Comprehensive (toto Vam uz vlastne preplatia aj skody, ak ste si
            na
            > vine vy, vhodne ak mate pekne auto - cize asi havarijna)
            >
            > S pozdravom,
            >
            > Elena

          • kanadan2003
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
              --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

              > In a message dated 8/1/03 8:20:26 AM, jjancik@n... writes:
              >

              > > dle pravnickeho slovniku pani Chrome - LEDA:
              > > havarijni pojisteni - collision insurance
              > > zakonne pojisteni vozidel - compulsory (motor) vehicle insurance
              (of
              > > liability for damage caused due to the operation of a motor
              vehicle)

              > > zajimaly by mne nazory, jestli je v takovych pripadech
              spravnejsi pouzit
              > > doslovny preklad ceskych realii nebo se pokusit najit obdobu v
              dane zemi. ja
              > > jsem spise pro prvni zpusob, protoze nemam jistotu, do jake miry
              se napr
              > > Fully Comprehensive shoduje s nasi havarijni pojistkou.
              > >
              > As far as I know, you can use those terms that you found in the
              dictionary
              > (and which I also gave you), and probably shouldn't go playing
              with terms that
              > exist in some specific country or start making up your own new
              terms. If you
              > translated "havarijni pojisteni" word for word from Czech, you'd
              get "accident
              > insurance", which is okay, but it's the same thing as collision
              insurance.
              > If you translated "zakonne pojisteni vozidel" word for word from
              Czech, you'd
              > get something bizarre that few people in English speaking
              countries would
              > understand.
              >
              > "Collision insurance" and "compulsory vehicle insurance" are very
              basic terms
              > that can be interpreted correctly by people, even if their own
              country uses a
              > different system.
              >
              > In some places, "Fully Comprehensive" insurance not only covers
              accidents,
              > but also covers broken vandalism and theft of objects inside the
              car. That is
              > not "havarijni pojisteni".

              I agree with Jamie; however, I would tend to favor "mandatory
              liability insurance" over "compulsory vehicle insurance," as this
              makes it quite clear what time of insurance is actually mandatory.
              Further, the word "compulsory" works better in the context of public
              schools and Olympic figure skating.

              Cheers!
            • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
                In a message dated 8/2/03 1:28:39 PM, bezdomovci@... writes:

                >I agree with Jamie; however, I would tend to favor "mandatory
                >liability insurance" over "compulsory vehicle insurance," as this
                >makes it quite clear what time of insurance is actually mandatory.

                "Mandatory" is a good word to use here too, but "liability" does not
                designate that the insurance applies to vehicles (which the Czech term did). As you
                know, you can have liability insurance for almost anything, including chocolate
                you've manufactured or the sidewalk in front of your house.

                >Further, the word "compulsory" works better in the context of public
                >schools and Olympic figure skating.

                I don't agree. I think "mandatory" and "compulsory" also work okay in an
                insurance context.

                Jamie
              • kanadan2003
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 8/2/03 1:28:39 PM, bezdomovci@e... writes:
                  >
                  > >I agree with Jamie; however, I would tend to favor "mandatory
                  > >liability insurance" over "compulsory vehicle insurance," as this
                  > >makes it quite clear what time of insurance is actually mandatory.
                  >
                  > "Mandatory" is a good word to use here too, but "liability" does
                  not
                  > designate that the insurance applies to vehicles (which the Czech
                  term did). As you
                  > know, you can have liability insurance for almost anything,
                  including chocolate
                  > you've manufactured or the sidewalk in front of your house.
                  >
                  > >Further, the word "compulsory" works better in the context of
                  public
                  > >schools and Olympic figure skating.
                  >
                  > I don't agree. I think "mandatory" and "compulsory" also work
                  okay in an
                  > insurance context.
                  >
                  > Jamie

                  Jo, ovsem, ze tam patri i slovo "vehicle" a nevim proc jsem to tam
                  zapomel. Takze by to melo byt "mandatory vehicle liability
                  insurance."

                  Na zdravi!