Re: [Czechlist] Help: abbreviation i.s.

  • Jiri Jancik
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
      Good morning,
      when touching this issue, could any native speaker kindly explain what is
      actually the correct translation of "v.z." (v zastoupeni - when a deputy
      signs a letter for the boss who is not present)
      Thanks

      Jiri Jancik

      > Hi can anyone tell me what the abbreviation "i.s." at the end of a
      > solicitor's letter means?
      > I have a feeling it's probably something like per pro or v.z. but
      > I'd just like to be sure
      > MTIA
      > Coilin
      >

      > Visit the Czechlist Homepage at: http://www.bohemica.com/czechtranslation

    • coilinoc
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jiri Jancik" <jjancik@n...> wrote:
        > Good morning,
        > when touching this issue, could any native speaker kindly explain
        what is
        > actually the correct translation of "v.z." (v zastoupeni - when a
        deputy
        > signs a letter for the boss who is not present)
        > Thanks
        >
        > Jiri Jancik

        I would normally go with per pro or p.p. (as in per procurationem).
        Just be careful to make sure the order is A per pro B whereby B is
        signing on behalf of A.
        HTH
        Coilin
        BTW thanks for the suggestion Jarda.
        iuris scient seems quite plausible given the context
      • Jiri Jancik
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
          Thank you Coilin
          Jiri Jancik
        • kanadan2003
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "coilinoc" <coilin@m...> wrote:
            > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jiri Jancik" <jjancik@n...>
            wrote:
            > > Good morning,
            > > when touching this issue, could any native speaker kindly
            explain
            > what is
            > > actually the correct translation of "v.z." (v zastoupeni - when
            > deputy
            > > signs a letter for the boss who is not present)
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Jiri Jancik
            > >
            > I would normally go with per pro or p.p. (as in per
            procurationem).
            > Just be careful to make sure the order is A per pro B whereby B is
            > signing on behalf of A.
            > HTH
            > Coilin
            > BTW thanks for the suggestion Jarda.
            > iuris scient seems quite plausible given the context

            Gentlemen,

            Though I've no doubt per pro or p.p. both have plenty of academic
            credentials placing them in good standing with lawyers and
            professors, the most common usage in the business world and in the
            U.S. Government and the military is simply "for," particularly when
            a signature block appears at the bottom of a document, in which case
            the word is normally hand-written by the deputy signing for his/her
            boss. If this isn't a question of a signature, then the
            word "acting" is applicable, e.g., John Smith, Acting Director.

            Cheers!
          • coilinoc
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
              > Gentlemen,
              >
              > Though I've no doubt per pro or p.p. both have plenty of academic
              > credentials placing them in good standing with lawyers and
              > professors, the most common usage in the business world and in the
              > U.S. Government and the military is simply "for," particularly
              when
              > a signature block appears at the bottom of a document, in which
              case
              > the word is normally hand-written by the deputy signing for
              his/her
              > boss. If this isn't a question of a signature, then the
              > word "acting" is applicable, e.g., John Smith, Acting Director.
              >
              > Cheers!

              Hi there nameless person!
              Perhaps this is a UK/US usage difference? (or perhaps even a US/UK
              vs Irl. difference?) I have literally seen (and even received)
              scores of business/official letters etc. in English with p.p. or per
              pro written before the signature by the relevant person's
              secretary. You will also find both per pro and p.p. in the COED and
              other dictionaries (although considering the sort of documents I
              have seen from the sources you mention, these may be publications
              that the US Government, military, and indeed the business world in
              general, are not familiar with) :-)
              Best regards
              Coilin
            • kanadan2003
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
                > Hi there nameless person!
                > Perhaps this is a UK/US usage difference? (or perhaps even a US/UK
                > vs Irl. difference?) I have literally seen (and even received)
                > scores of business/official letters etc. in English with p.p. or
                per
                > pro written before the signature by the relevant person's
                > secretary. You will also find both per pro and p.p. in the COED
                and
                > other dictionaries (although considering the sort of documents I
                > have seen from the sources you mention, these may be publications
                > that the US Government, military, and indeed the business world in
                > general, are not familiar with) :-)
                > Best regards
                > Coilin

                Coiline,

                Jedna se pravdepodobne o rozdilne skusenosti. Nevim pro koho druhy
                kolega to preklada ale mate urcite pravdu, ze zadny prumerny
                american - at je to businessman nebo bigos - tomu nebude rozumet az
                tam uvidi zkratku p.p. bez ohledu na to jestli se to "skusenejsi"
                lidi najdou v jakemkoliv slovniku. ;-)

                Na zdravi