havarijni pojisteni, zakonne pojisteni vozidel

  • Martina Jakubova
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2003
      Hi,

      does anyone know the correct translation of these two commonly used Czech
      terms?

      Thank you all for your prompt answers!!!:o)))

      Martina
    • Elena Cuyen-Butterworth
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
        Martina,

        takto sa rozdeluje poistenie v GB:
        1) Third Party (povinne, cize zakonne, ak vrazis do cohosi, cvakas z
        vlastneho vrecka)
        2) Third Party, Fire and Theft
        3) Fully Comprehensive (toto Vam uz vlastne preplatia aj skody, ak ste si na
        vine vy, vhodne ak mate pekne auto - cize asi havarijna)

        S pozdravom,

        Elena

        does anyone know the correct translation of these two commonly used Czech
        terms?

        Thank you all for your prompt answers!!!:o)))

        Martina

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Visit the Czechlist Homepage at: http://www.bohemica.com/czechtranslation

      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
          In a message dated 8/1/03 2:18:38 AM, martina.jakubova@... writes:

          > does anyone know the correct translation of these two commonly used Czech
          > terms?

          In the US, havarijni pojisteni would be "accident insurance" or "collision
          insurance", assuming we're talking about cars.

          I think that MAYBE zakonne pojisteni vozidel in the US would be "compulsory
          vehicle insurance".

        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
            In a message dated 8/1/03 8:20:26 AM, jjancik@... writes:

            > dle pravnickeho slovniku pani Chrome - LEDA:
            > havarijni pojisteni - collision insurance
            > zakonne pojisteni vozidel - compulsory (motor) vehicle insurance (of
            > liability for damage caused due to the operation of a motor vehicle)
            >
            > zajimaly by mne nazory, jestli je v takovych pripadech spravnejsi pouzit
            > doslovny preklad ceskych realii nebo se pokusit najit obdobu v dane zemi. ja
            > jsem spise pro prvni zpusob, protoze nemam jistotu, do jake miry se napr
            > Fully Comprehensive shoduje s nasi havarijni pojistkou.

            As far as I know, you can use those terms that you found in the dictionary
            (and which I also gave you), and probably shouldn't go playing with terms that
            exist in some specific country or start making up your own new terms. If you
            translated "havarijni pojisteni" word for word from Czech, you'd get "accident
            insurance", which is okay, but it's the same thing as collision insurance.
            If you translated "zakonne pojisteni vozidel" word for word from Czech, you'd
            get something bizarre that few people in English speaking countries would
            understand.

            "Collision insurance" and "compulsory vehicle insurance" are very basic terms
            that can be interpreted correctly by people, even if their own country uses a
            different system.

            In some places, "Fully Comprehensive" insurance not only covers accidents,
            but also covers broken vandalism and theft of objects inside the car. That is
            not "havarijni pojisteni".

          • Jiri Jancik

              > 1) Third Party (povinne, cize zakonne, ak vrazis do cohosi, cvakas z
              > vlastneho vrecka)
              > 2) Third Party, Fire and Theft
              > 3) Fully Comprehensive (toto Vam uz vlastne preplatia aj skody, ak ste si
              na
              > vine vy, vhodne ak mate pekne auto - cize asi havarijna)
              >
              > S pozdravom,
              >
              > Elena

            • kanadan2003
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

                > In a message dated 8/1/03 8:20:26 AM, jjancik@n... writes:
                >

                > > dle pravnickeho slovniku pani Chrome - LEDA:
                > > havarijni pojisteni - collision insurance
                > > zakonne pojisteni vozidel - compulsory (motor) vehicle insurance
                (of
                > > liability for damage caused due to the operation of a motor
                vehicle)

                > > zajimaly by mne nazory, jestli je v takovych pripadech
                spravnejsi pouzit
                > > doslovny preklad ceskych realii nebo se pokusit najit obdobu v
                dane zemi. ja
                > > jsem spise pro prvni zpusob, protoze nemam jistotu, do jake miry
                se napr
                > > Fully Comprehensive shoduje s nasi havarijni pojistkou.
                > >
                > As far as I know, you can use those terms that you found in the
                dictionary
                > (and which I also gave you), and probably shouldn't go playing
                with terms that
                > exist in some specific country or start making up your own new
                terms. If you
                > translated "havarijni pojisteni" word for word from Czech, you'd
                get "accident
                > insurance", which is okay, but it's the same thing as collision
                insurance.
                > If you translated "zakonne pojisteni vozidel" word for word from
                Czech, you'd
                > get something bizarre that few people in English speaking
                countries would
                > understand.
                >
                > "Collision insurance" and "compulsory vehicle insurance" are very
                basic terms
                > that can be interpreted correctly by people, even if their own
                country uses a
                > different system.
                >
                > In some places, "Fully Comprehensive" insurance not only covers
                accidents,
                > but also covers broken vandalism and theft of objects inside the
                car. That is
                > not "havarijni pojisteni".

                I agree with Jamie; however, I would tend to favor "mandatory
                liability insurance" over "compulsory vehicle insurance," as this
                makes it quite clear what time of insurance is actually mandatory.
                Further, the word "compulsory" works better in the context of public
                schools and Olympic figure skating.

                Cheers!
              • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
                  In a message dated 8/2/03 1:28:39 PM, bezdomovci@... writes:

                  >I agree with Jamie; however, I would tend to favor "mandatory
                  >liability insurance" over "compulsory vehicle insurance," as this
                  >makes it quite clear what time of insurance is actually mandatory.

                  "Mandatory" is a good word to use here too, but "liability" does not
                  designate that the insurance applies to vehicles (which the Czech term did). As you
                  know, you can have liability insurance for almost anything, including chocolate
                  you've manufactured or the sidewalk in front of your house.

                  >Further, the word "compulsory" works better in the context of public
                  >schools and Olympic figure skating.

                  I don't agree. I think "mandatory" and "compulsory" also work okay in an
                  insurance context.

                  Jamie
                • kanadan2003
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 8/2/03 1:28:39 PM, bezdomovci@e... writes:
                    >
                    > >I agree with Jamie; however, I would tend to favor "mandatory
                    > >liability insurance" over "compulsory vehicle insurance," as this
                    > >makes it quite clear what time of insurance is actually mandatory.
                    >
                    > "Mandatory" is a good word to use here too, but "liability" does
                    not
                    > designate that the insurance applies to vehicles (which the Czech
                    term did). As you
                    > know, you can have liability insurance for almost anything,
                    including chocolate
                    > you've manufactured or the sidewalk in front of your house.
                    >
                    > >Further, the word "compulsory" works better in the context of
                    public
                    > >schools and Olympic figure skating.
                    >
                    > I don't agree. I think "mandatory" and "compulsory" also work
                    okay in an
                    > insurance context.
                    >
                    > Jamie

                    Jo, ovsem, ze tam patri i slovo "vehicle" a nevim proc jsem to tam
                    zapomel. Takze by to melo byt "mandatory vehicle liability
                    insurance."

                    Na zdravi!