MEETING and chat

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2000
      Hi Michael,

      > There was a thread about the German and Swedish equivalents of "tzv."
      on Lantra last week. The consensus is that the best approach in
      English is often simply to put the referent in quotes

      Yes that is a good solution - I have it on my list of translation posers on

      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/archive.html

      > (that's inverted commas to you limeys)

      I wonder if we get that name from the stuff we put in our lager to make it
      taste a little less
      obnoxious (I have seen Czechs going pale at the sight of lager and lime).

      >--- Hi guys,

      How about coming for a pint to the UK? But I am not sure the beer
      will be as good as back home.

      Martina

      Steady on there, Martina. Last time somebody issued a casual invitation to
      the Czechlist
      posse (Todd in South Moravia) almost a dozen of us descended on him like a
      plague
      of hungry and thirsty locusts. I think he still wakes up screaming in the
      middle of the night:)

      I can't bear to stay in Britain for more than a few weeks, the beer is so
      yukky, especially if it
      is that southern muck. How can you stand it, Martina?

      No lime with our lager at our next 'workshop' at U Buvola today, Wednesday
      evening. 6 pm.
      Check out recent postings on Svepomoc for details. Newcomers always welcome
      if they buy
      the drinks. Phone 0603 942 957 if you get lost.

      > >Czech out their website at:
      >
      >Aaaaagh. NEVER use that dreadful pun on Czechlist or I shall call the
      >police.
      >:)

      > And you will be severely punished.
      >Perhaps even sent to the punitentiary.

      Very punny.

      I received a complaint from one avid reader about the name 'Czechlist' - I
      know
      it is trite and hackneyed but what better name could I come up with?

      FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com