RE: [Czechlist] monuments, or heritage

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2000
      Hi Todd,

      Hope everything in your field is blooming.

      >I think we can begin to talk of some kind of standard here.

      Yes, this is certainly an established institutional name.

      >Czech out their website at:

      Aaaaagh. NEVER use that dreadful pun on Czechlist or I shall call the
      police.
      :)

      I do think it is also worth noting that "State Institute for Monument Care"
      only gets 6 hits on Google, all for CZ and Slovakia, while "Monuments
      Institute" gets all of 24 with a strong showing from Albania as well as CZ
      and Slovakia.

      Interestingly, I notice that "Heritage Authority" gets over 180 hits from
      all over the English-speaking world plus CZ. There is some guy in the south
      of Bohemia using this phrase regularly in his translated webpages about
      tourist sites. I call him the 'Unknown Master of Krumlov". Any idea who he
      is?

      Melvyn

      FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
    • Irena Steinerová
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2000
        Hi Melvyn,

        >Interestingly, I notice that "Heritage Authority" gets over 180 hits from
        >all over the English-speaking world plus CZ. There is some guy in the south
        >of Bohemia using this phrase regularly in his translated webpages about
        >tourist sites. I call him the 'Unknown Master of Krumlov". Any idea who he
        >is?

        Check out this:

        http://www.ckrumlov.cz/uk/mesto/firmy/i_bryce.htm

        Irena

        >FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
        >Sign up at http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
        >

        >Czech<>English translation resources page:
        >http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/Intro.html
        >
        >Czechlist archives:
        >http://www.egroups.com/messages/Czechlist
        >
        >Czechlist homepage:
        >http://www.egroups.com/group/Czechlist
        >
        >Community email addresses:
        > Post message: Czechlist@egroups.com
        > Subscribe: Czechlist-subscribe@egroups.com
        > Digest: Czechlist-digest@egroups.com

      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2000
          > >Czech out their website at:
          >
          >Aaaaagh. NEVER use that dreadful pun on Czechlist or I shall call the
          >police.
          >:)

          And you will be severely punished.
          Perhaps even sent to the punitentiary.

          Michael

          Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (+1-817) 514-6413
        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2000
            >Check out this:
            >
            >http://www.ckrumlov.cz/uk/mesto/firmy/i_bryce.htm

            It seems he provides "intermediary services", not to mention
            "geneology tracing".

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
              Yes, this is the place full of puns (or pens?)

              Martin

              > And you will be severely punished.
              > Perhaps even sent to the punitentiary.
              >
              > Michael
            • Zdenek_Bobek
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2000
                I think the man is Belcher Bryce an american who settled in Cesky Krumlov.
                Quite nice and clever guy. There was something about him and other foregners
                living in the CZ in CT2 about a year ago.

                Bob