Re: [Czechlist] HUMOR: Funny Czech names

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2003
      In a message dated 6/21/03 9:40:26 AM, mklimes@... writes:

      > does the sheer number of slut, bitch, and
      > other words she uses (even in connection with positive characters) make you
      > as uncomfortable as me (and it's not even my language...)??

      It bothered me so little that I had to think a bit before I realized she'd
      used all those words. She was basically using blunt language to describe the
      saloon gal sort of character. I could see, though, how it might bother other
      people. I come from a fine arts background originally, so I guess I'm inured
      to it, because a lot of artists think obscenity is part of being
      "avant-garde".

      > Maybe Internet SHOULD be censored after all :)

      I run into times when I think it should be.

      > Is Limonadovy Joe really that much out of place with an (average) American
      > viewer (w/out the Czech connection), or was the reviewer just dumb...

      The reviewer was just stupid. While I was reading her words, I kept
      thinking back to two 12-year-old girls who once sat behind me in a movie theater that
      was playing a Mel Brooks comedy. Anytime anything corny happened, they
      would effetely exclaim, "Oh, I'm SURE!" They were at the stage of maturity when
      they had begun to recognize things that were corny, but they didn't yet
      realize that some things are made corny on purpose for the amusement of adults. I
      think this woman's state of sophistication must be similar.

      Her review also made me think of one written by a Harvard student in the
      National Review years ago. He was slamming a David Lynch movie, and, since one
      of the major pastimes of Harvard students is judging people who do not go to
      Ivy League universities as being of inferior intelligence, he was pointing to
      the pukey colors, the corny dialogue and the improbable situations in Lynch's
      movie as proof that he was of low intelligence. The Harvard boy's own
      intelligence was so low, however, that he didn't realize that Lynch made the film like
      that deliberately.

      If you want to see more typical American reactions to Limonadovy Joe, take a
      look at the reviews people have written on its page on Amazon.com:

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000060MX9/qid%3D1056223183/sr%3D11-1/r
      ef%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-9886911-9615819