TERM: fabion

  • raesim
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
      Here's another film-related question that might be right up Matej's
      street:

      Does anyone know if there's an English equivalent for 'fabion', as
      used in bluescreen filming? As I understand it, the 'fabion' is a
      wall or backdrop that curves into the ceiling, floor and sidewalls
      to prevent hard edges and shadows forming in the background to a
      shot.

      "Atelier XX ma rozmery 16,8 x 9,6 m (12 m pod mostem) pri vysce 7 m.
      Je vybaven pojizdnym osvetlovacim mostem. Zadni stenu pokryva 7,2 x
      7 m veliky fabion, ktery je mozne vyuzit pro klicovani na
      bluescreen."

      Thanks again!

      Simon
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
        When I used to be a photog, we'd call this a background, but that's anything
        behind a model, since this is a specific TV technique, there may be a
        specific term as well...

        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
          Actually, (and amazingly), it's nothing else than bluescreen background...

          bluescreen_light
          ... Spill on the background could degrade the hue and density of the
          bluescreen
          background. This makes calculation of a mask harder. ...
          www.berceanu.com.au/bluescreen_light.html - 9k - Archiv - Podobné stránky

          Star Wars: Community | How does the bluescreen technique work?
          ... computer using a set of rules, such as, if a pixel has more blue than
          both red and/or
          green, then the pixel is considered part of the bluescreen background. ...
          www.starwars.com/community/askjc/ ilm/askjc20000522.html - 30k - Archiv -
          Podobné stránky

        • raesim
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
            > When I used to be a photog, we'd call this a background, but
            > that's anything behind a model, since this is a specific TV
            > technique, there may be a specific term as well...

            I haven't been able to find one by Googling. The client suggested I
            use 'fabion' 'since it's an international word', but I can't find
            any evidence for its use in English.

            Simon
          • Zdenek Mikan
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
              I have found cavetto, cove, coving, scotia in my technical dictionary
              (Lingea cz->ENGLISH) for fabion, or mortar fillet for koutovy fabion.

              Zdenek

              >> When I used to be a photog, we'd call this a background, but
              >> that's anything behind a model, since this is a specific TV
              >> technique, there may be a specific term as well...
              >
              >I haven't been able to find one by Googling. The client suggested I
              >use 'fabion' 'since it's an international word', but I can't find
              >any evidence for its use in English.
              >
              >Simon

              >Czechlist resources:
              >http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/Intro.html
              >
              >Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

            • raesim
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
                > Actually, (and amazingly), it's nothing else than bluescreen
                > background...

                Thanks, Matej. I might go for 'backdrop' instead, since the text
                talks about its *covering* the back wall: 'The back wall is covered
                by a 7.2 by 7 m curved backdrop, which can be used for bluescreen
                keying.' Unless I should simplify things and just say: 'The back
                wall is covered by a 7.2 by 7 m bluescreen backdrop.' But perhaps
                this 'fabion' can be used for other things as well...

                Simon
              • raesim
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
                  > I have found cavetto, cove, coving, scotia in my technical
                  > dictionary (Lingea cz->ENGLISH) for fabion, or mortar fillet
                  > for koutovy fabion.

                  Thanks, Zdenek. Unfortunately, none of these terms seem to be used
                  in conjunction with bluescreen filming.

                  Simon
                • raesim
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
                    Got more, if you want it!

                    Does "dotacky" in the passage below mean anything more specific
                    than "final takes"?

                    "Zvlaste, pokud se toci v exterierech prazskeho centra, je vyhodne
                    poridit dotacky v [atelieru XX], kam je to blizko."

                    Again, thanks again!

                    Simon
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "raesim" <rachelandsimon@q...> wrote:
                      > Got more, if you want it!
                      >
                      > Does "dotacky" in the passage below mean anything more specific
                      > than "final takes"?

                      FWIW my Anglicko-cesky slovnik filmovy a televizni (Vedral, JTP) has 'added take' for 'dotacka'.

                      M.
                    • raesim
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
                        > > Does "dotacky" in the passage below mean anything more specific
                        > > than "final takes"?
                        >
                        > FWIW my Anglicko-cesky slovnik filmovy a televizni (Vedral, JTP)
                        > has 'added take' for 'dotacka'.

                        Thanks, Melvyn. I arrived at "final takes" through the
                        verb "dotocit" ("finish filming"), but "added takes" seems more
                        likely from the context. Unfortunately, I can't find much obvious
                        evidence for its use on Google. Perhaps "additional
                        takes/shots/footage" would do.

                        BTW, how do you rate the Vedral glossaries overall?

                        Simon
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "raesim" <rachelandsimon@q...> wrote:
                          Perhaps "additional
                          > takes/shots/footage" would do.

                          Old Poldauf has 'additional shot' and 'added scene'.

                          > BTW, how do you rate the Vedral glossaries overall?

                          Better than a kick up the backside, I suppose, considering they attempt to deal with some of those itchy areas which lie beyond scratching reach of the larger dictionaries. Occasionally they can prove useful.

                          Just the other day, for example, I got a query on 'veprova kolena'. Karen put me onto the right track, and she was corroborated by my slovnik z oboru masneho prumyslu - pork knuckles!

                          I get the impression that the author's sources and informants have had some inside experience of the fields concerned and some of the items have a very workaday, as opposed to an academically rigorous feel about them (e.g. from the slovnik filmovy a televizni: Mr X hugs the mike = pan X leze do mikrofonu, listed under M). IMO there are surprisingly few 'filler' words, though you will occasionally get stray items from only tenuously related fields, e.g. 'strawberries with whipped cream' in the meat industry glossary, which BTW I find is quite handy for dealing with such appetizing menu items as ox brains with onions.

                          Divadelni slovnik is also useful. Once you get used to the fact that some pages are printed upside down (check carefully before you buy - I've noticed quite a few printing errors in these glossaries), you'll find quite a bit of useful inside information. The only other glossary on the subject that I have come across was about five times more expensive and it had loads of filler.

                          I don't know the fields involved well enough to point out any inaccuracies. Of course, because of the obvious lexicographical shortcomings, one is naturally on one's guard, but I think some of these glossaries are worth shelling out CZK 43.

                          M.
                        • Jan Rozek
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
                            Hello,

                            FWIW, "fabion" is sometimes used in building jargon for exactly the
                            same - smooth curved transition from a wall to the ceiling, without the
                            inner hard edge. That would probably be the "koutovy fabion" - mortar
                            fillet found by Zdenek.

                            Jan