Re: TERM: filmovy uvodnik (thanks)

  • raesim
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
      A big thanks to Elena, Zdenek, Katerina, Matej and Lenka for their
      prompt guidance.

      I had been wondering whether a 'filmovy uvodnik' was any kind of
      short film introducing the main feature or had a specially political
      content. I feel confident, from the context and what's been said on
      the list, that I can go with Matej's suggestion, 'newsreel'. It's
      funny: I had the idea of Pathé News in my head, but I couldn't think
      of the generic term.

      Simon
    • raesim
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
        Here's another film-related question that might be right up Matej's
        street:

        Does anyone know if there's an English equivalent for 'fabion', as
        used in bluescreen filming? As I understand it, the 'fabion' is a
        wall or backdrop that curves into the ceiling, floor and sidewalls
        to prevent hard edges and shadows forming in the background to a
        shot.

        "Atelier XX ma rozmery 16,8 x 9,6 m (12 m pod mostem) pri vysce 7 m.
        Je vybaven pojizdnym osvetlovacim mostem. Zadni stenu pokryva 7,2 x
        7 m veliky fabion, ktery je mozne vyuzit pro klicovani na
        bluescreen."

        Thanks again!

        Simon
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
          When I used to be a photog, we'd call this a background, but that's anything
          behind a model, since this is a specific TV technique, there may be a
          specific term as well...

          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
            Actually, (and amazingly), it's nothing else than bluescreen background...

            bluescreen_light
            ... Spill on the background could degrade the hue and density of the
            bluescreen
            background. This makes calculation of a mask harder. ...
            www.berceanu.com.au/bluescreen_light.html - 9k - Archiv - Podobné stránky

            Star Wars: Community | How does the bluescreen technique work?
            ... computer using a set of rules, such as, if a pixel has more blue than
            both red and/or
            green, then the pixel is considered part of the bluescreen background. ...
            www.starwars.com/community/askjc/ ilm/askjc20000522.html - 30k - Archiv -
            Podobné stránky

          • raesim
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
              > When I used to be a photog, we'd call this a background, but
              > that's anything behind a model, since this is a specific TV
              > technique, there may be a specific term as well...

              I haven't been able to find one by Googling. The client suggested I
              use 'fabion' 'since it's an international word', but I can't find
              any evidence for its use in English.

              Simon
            • Zdenek Mikan
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
                I have found cavetto, cove, coving, scotia in my technical dictionary
                (Lingea cz->ENGLISH) for fabion, or mortar fillet for koutovy fabion.

                Zdenek

                >> When I used to be a photog, we'd call this a background, but
                >> that's anything behind a model, since this is a specific TV
                >> technique, there may be a specific term as well...
                >
                >I haven't been able to find one by Googling. The client suggested I
                >use 'fabion' 'since it's an international word', but I can't find
                >any evidence for its use in English.
                >
                >Simon

                >Czechlist resources:
                >http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/Intro.html
                >
                >Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

              • raesim
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
                  > Actually, (and amazingly), it's nothing else than bluescreen
                  > background...

                  Thanks, Matej. I might go for 'backdrop' instead, since the text
                  talks about its *covering* the back wall: 'The back wall is covered
                  by a 7.2 by 7 m curved backdrop, which can be used for bluescreen
                  keying.' Unless I should simplify things and just say: 'The back
                  wall is covered by a 7.2 by 7 m bluescreen backdrop.' But perhaps
                  this 'fabion' can be used for other things as well...

                  Simon
                • raesim
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
                    > I have found cavetto, cove, coving, scotia in my technical
                    > dictionary (Lingea cz->ENGLISH) for fabion, or mortar fillet
                    > for koutovy fabion.

                    Thanks, Zdenek. Unfortunately, none of these terms seem to be used
                    in conjunction with bluescreen filming.

                    Simon
                  • raesim
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
                      Got more, if you want it!

                      Does "dotacky" in the passage below mean anything more specific
                      than "final takes"?

                      "Zvlaste, pokud se toci v exterierech prazskeho centra, je vyhodne
                      poridit dotacky v [atelieru XX], kam je to blizko."

                      Again, thanks again!

                      Simon
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "raesim" <rachelandsimon@q...> wrote:
                        > Got more, if you want it!
                        >
                        > Does "dotacky" in the passage below mean anything more specific
                        > than "final takes"?

                        FWIW my Anglicko-cesky slovnik filmovy a televizni (Vedral, JTP) has 'added take' for 'dotacka'.

                        M.
                      • raesim
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
                          > > Does "dotacky" in the passage below mean anything more specific
                          > > than "final takes"?
                          >
                          > FWIW my Anglicko-cesky slovnik filmovy a televizni (Vedral, JTP)
                          > has 'added take' for 'dotacka'.

                          Thanks, Melvyn. I arrived at "final takes" through the
                          verb "dotocit" ("finish filming"), but "added takes" seems more
                          likely from the context. Unfortunately, I can't find much obvious
                          evidence for its use on Google. Perhaps "additional
                          takes/shots/footage" would do.

                          BTW, how do you rate the Vedral glossaries overall?

                          Simon
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
                            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "raesim" <rachelandsimon@q...> wrote:
                            Perhaps "additional
                            > takes/shots/footage" would do.

                            Old Poldauf has 'additional shot' and 'added scene'.

                            > BTW, how do you rate the Vedral glossaries overall?

                            Better than a kick up the backside, I suppose, considering they attempt to deal with some of those itchy areas which lie beyond scratching reach of the larger dictionaries. Occasionally they can prove useful.

                            Just the other day, for example, I got a query on 'veprova kolena'. Karen put me onto the right track, and she was corroborated by my slovnik z oboru masneho prumyslu - pork knuckles!

                            I get the impression that the author's sources and informants have had some inside experience of the fields concerned and some of the items have a very workaday, as opposed to an academically rigorous feel about them (e.g. from the slovnik filmovy a televizni: Mr X hugs the mike = pan X leze do mikrofonu, listed under M). IMO there are surprisingly few 'filler' words, though you will occasionally get stray items from only tenuously related fields, e.g. 'strawberries with whipped cream' in the meat industry glossary, which BTW I find is quite handy for dealing with such appetizing menu items as ox brains with onions.

                            Divadelni slovnik is also useful. Once you get used to the fact that some pages are printed upside down (check carefully before you buy - I've noticed quite a few printing errors in these glossaries), you'll find quite a bit of useful inside information. The only other glossary on the subject that I have come across was about five times more expensive and it had loads of filler.

                            I don't know the fields involved well enough to point out any inaccuracies. Of course, because of the obvious lexicographical shortcomings, one is naturally on one's guard, but I think some of these glossaries are worth shelling out CZK 43.

                            M.
                          • Jan Rozek
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 2, 2003
                              Hello,

                              FWIW, "fabion" is sometimes used in building jargon for exactly the
                              same - smooth curved transition from a wall to the ceiling, without the
                              inner hard edge. That would probably be the "koutovy fabion" - mortar
                              fillet found by Zdenek.

                              Jan