Re: [Czechlist] HELP: technical terms

  • Josef Hlavac
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2003
      Hi,

      > tranzistorovy stejnosmerny menic - transistor chopper? (160 google
      > hits - none for "transistor direct-current converter...")

      How about "transistor DC-DC converter" ? (Just an idea, not consulted with
      dictionaries.)
      Beware, there is a difference between a DC-DC converter (input DC, output
      DC) and a chopper (input DC, output AC). Some more context would be
      helpful to clarify it.

      No ideas about the others though, it's a bit early for me to be able to
      think :-)

      Joe
      --
      Mailto: Josef "Joe" Hlavac <joe@...>
      Phone: +420-776-736715
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
        Hi Coilin,

        > vystrikovany plastovy dil - injected plastic part?

        The abobe should be clearly understood. It's probably more natural to call it a
        "moulding" (molding) or perhaps a "plastic moulding".

        Also, I would expect "vstrikovany" in Czech as the proper word.

        > tranzistorovy stejnosmerny menic - transistor chopper?
        > hits - none for "transistor direct-current converter...")

        As a matter of fact "direct-current converter" should work and it is then the
        DC-DC kind of device. "Semiconductor" might work as an attributive in place of
        "transistor" as well.

        A "chopper" "chops" DC to AC, as Joe points out.

        > modelove stredisko - perhaps some sort of "test centre" for
        > prototypes?

        Martin probably had computer model(l)ing in mind. In fact, it could also mean
        "moulding centre" (molding center), but it's only my conclusion based on the
        words themselves not on having encountered one.

        > kabelove konfekce (I'm a bit clueless on this one - are they
        > perhaps "cable moulds" or does it the term simply mean something
        > like the "mass-production of cables"?)

        Sounds like the latter (agree with Martin), but again, never really heard.