bidirectional languages

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2003
      I don't think "bidirectional languages" means there can be one language that
      can be written in two directions (like ancient Greek used to be). It means
      that the software has the capability to write languages that go from left to
      right, and ones that go from right to left. So, in Nisus Writer, AppleWorks,
      Microsoft Word, and now probably all modern wordprocessing programs, you can
      write left to right in European languages if you want, or, if you're writing
      Arabic or Hebrew, the text in the document will go from right to left. You can
      also switch from one direction to the other in the same document.

      So, my guess is that by "bidirectional languages" the writer meant the
      ability to write in languages that require either direction.

    • tomas_barendregt
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30, 2003
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:
        > I don't think "bidirectional languages" means there can be one
        language that
        > can be written in two directions (like ancient Greek used to be).

        In localization industry, this is exactly what it means. Arabic, for
        example, is written in both directions as general text goes from
        right to left and numbers or strings in other scripts, such as Latin,
        go from left to right. So, it is the language that is bi-directional
        rather than the software (although the SW must have bi-directional
        capabilites (be "bi-di enabled") to support Arabic or Hebrew).

        Tom
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 4 , May 30, 2003
          On 5/30/03 12:40 PM, "JPKIRCHNER@..." <JPKIRCHNER@...> wrote:

          > So, my guess is that by "bidirectional languages" the writer meant the
          > ability to write in languages that require either direction.

          I've been told that Hebrew texts often include snippets of Roman text which
          is written normally left-to-write, so that the overall text really is
          bidirectional.

          Michael

          --
          "I promise you that I will listen to what has been said here, even though I
          wasn't here."

          - George W. Bush at the President's Economic Forum, Waco, TX, Aug. 13, 2002
        • Rubková
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2003
            I would like to thank all of you who helped to solvemy problem.

            Sarka

            > So, my guess is that by "bidirectional languages" the writer meant the
            > ability to write in languages that require either direction.

            I've been told that Hebrew texts often include snippets of Roman text which
            is written normally left-to-write, so that the overall text really is
            bidirectional.

            Michael

            --
            "I promise you that I will listen to what has been said here, even though I
            wasn't here."

            - George W. Bush at the President's Economic Forum, Waco, TX, Aug. 13, 2002

            Czechlist resources:

            Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

            ---
            Příchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.