Re: Words, words, words

  • Alastair Millar
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 1999
      It was written thus:

      >A member recently asked me for "rodne cislo". My preference is for
      >"birth registration number" because I think it runs together so nicely -
      >registration of births, marriages and deaths" is one well-known phrase and
      >"registration number" is quite standard so it all goes together well. Or
      >does it?

      I tend to use "identity number", since it's short and seems to sum up the
      primary uses. The OP (or PKP) is then an "identity card" in the usual
      Continental sense.

      Thoughts anyone?

      Alastair
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 1999
        > A little less of the egregiously off-topic smartarse oneliner stuff is
        what this list needs...

        The above being a response to my posting, I feel obliged to write I didn't
        mean to say the discussion on "Czechia" and the company was a waste of time.
        And sometimes it's even desirable to mention what one might consider
        obvious, just because someone else might not.

        > A member recently asked me for "rodne cislo". My preference is for "birth
        registration number"...

        "Birth registration number" is on Komercni Banka's cash deposit and
        withdrawal forms. I find it OK. "Number" could also be replaced with "code",
        but what's the deal, right?

        > Or how about ICO??? A certain unnamed member came up with "Company
        registration number"...

        I've been using "business ID". Just recently, a letter on company writing
        paper from the UK got to my hand where "registration number" (or rather "Reg
        No.") was pre-printed, next item being "VAT Reg No.", Czech DIC, which,
        looking back at some of my rusty translations, I've been putting quite
        inconsistently as "revenue service ID", "tax ID", "VAT ID". Such is
        evolution, sometimes. I guess I mainly liked "ID" for being short.

        It could be interesting to hear what the US equivalents are.

        Jirka Bolech
        Liberec, Czech Republic
      • Paul Sinclair
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 1999
          Thanks for your suggested source materials for translation. The authors that
          Melvyn mentioned sound weird and wonderful and I'm already fond of that
          period (oh, the haunting poems by Karel Hlavacek), but one of the reasons
          I'm interested in modern authors is that I can find their work in the
          bookshops today.

          As to "rodne cislo," I'd also go for "birth registration number," but I
          normally omit it in translation, except in birth certificates and the like.
          But when it's used in a lease agreement, it does not help in any way to
          identify the Czech individual to the foreign party and it just looks out of
          place. If I add a footnote to explain that it is roughly equivalent to the
          NHS number in the UK, the reader will still ask what the lessor's NHS number
          is doing in a lease agreement. Same with academic titles (I have no doubt
          clients put them back in immediately), or Sb. after the number of a statute.

          How about corporate registration number for ICO to cover all types of
          organizations, profit and non-profit?

          Who published that bilingual edition of Topol and where did you get it,
          Melvyn?

          Paul
        • Otto Pacholik
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 1999
            Hello all,

            I am new on the list. I followed with much interest your discussion
            concerning some terminology issues.

            > > Or how about ICO??? A certain unnamed member came up with "Company
            > registration number"...

            I prefer Business ID - the reason why is that you receive an ICO also when
            you just apply for a business license (zivnostensky list) and your are in no
            case a company (at least under the Czech law).

            Regards,

            Otto
            pacholik@...
          • Kostas Zgafas
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 1999
              > Thanks for your suggested source materials for translation.

              Paul, do you know Iva Hercikova? She is a well-known Czech author; however,
              she has been living in the United States since 1985, and is still writing. I
              think it would be interesting to translate into English some of her books
              she wrote recently. To translate into English a good Czech author living in
              an English speaking country may be an interesting idea, since in that way
              you achieve something what may be called as "continuous transfer".

              Kostas