RE: [Czechlist] Czech California in Chicago??

  • Helga Humlova
    Message 1 of 4 , May 9 10:58 AM
      Michael,

      I googled a bit and found this

      OTHER CZECH CHICAGO SITES

      Czech California
      Location between Rockwell Ave. and Trumbull along 26th St.

      on that site
      http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:TBR4UFt2DMkC:hometown.aol.com/rechcigl/
      myhomepage/favorite.html+%22czech+california%22+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

      and this
      Czechs (Bohemians):
      The Czechs first settled in the area of Pilsen, but were able to become
      wealthier and move to a higher-class neighborhood known as Czech California,
      located in South Lawndale. Many of the trades of the immigrants included
      carpentry, or construction, so many of the structures of Czech California
      were large and impressive compared to other housing in the Chicago area
      (Spinney, 139).

      on that site:
      http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:zcdhZqmeazoC:www.student.brynmawr.edu/~
      bwilson/Chicago/chicagohome.html+%22czech+california%22+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

      Helga