Czech California in Chicago??

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 4 , May 9, 2003
      I've been asked to translate an obituary of a Czech-American physician who
      died in Chicago in 1931. The obit contains the sentence "Pozdeji presidlil
      do Ceske Kalifornie, kde se zakoupil na Central Park ave., blize 24. ul."
      Has anyone heard of such a place? Seems to have been in Chicago, nikoliv v
      Kalifornii neceske....

      Michael

      --
      There's no such thing as legacies. At least, there is a legacy, but I'll
      never see it."

      - George W. Bush, Jan. 31, 2001
      Message 2 of 4 , May 9, 2003
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Michael Grant <transman@b...> wrote:
        > I've been asked to translate an obituary of a Czech-American physician who
        > died in Chicago in 1931. The obit contains the sentence "Pozdeji presidlil
        > do Ceske Kalifornie, kde se zakoupil na Central Park ave., blize 24. ul."
        > Has anyone heard of such a place? Seems to have been in Chicago, nikoliv v
        > Kalifornii neceske....

        Found a couple of sites that might help:

        Czech-American Historic Places & Monuments. By Miloslav Rechcigl ...
        ... OTHER CZECH CHICAGO SITES Czech California Location between Rockwell Ave. and Trumbull along 26th St. Pilsen Location: between Morgan St. and Western ave. ...
        hometown.aol.com/rechcigl/myhomepage/favorite.html

        Chicago
        ... The Czechs first settled in the area of Pilsen, but were able to become wealthier and move to a higher-class neighborhood known as Czech California, located in ...
        www.student.brynmawr.edu/~bwilson/ Chicago/chicagohome.html

      • Helga Humlova
        Message 3 of 4 , May 9, 2003
          Michael,

          I googled a bit and found this

          OTHER CZECH CHICAGO SITES

          Czech California
          Location between Rockwell Ave. and Trumbull along 26th St.

          on that site
          http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:TBR4UFt2DMkC:hometown.aol.com/rechcigl/
          myhomepage/favorite.html+%22czech+california%22+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

          and this
          Czechs (Bohemians):
          The Czechs first settled in the area of Pilsen, but were able to become
          wealthier and move to a higher-class neighborhood known as Czech California,
          located in South Lawndale. Many of the trades of the immigrants included
          carpentry, or construction, so many of the structures of Czech California
          were large and impressive compared to other housing in the Chicago area
          (Spinney, 139).

          on that site:
          http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:zcdhZqmeazoC:www.student.brynmawr.edu/~
          bwilson/Chicago/chicagohome.html+%22czech+california%22+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

          Helga
          I've been asked to translate an obituary of a Czech-American physician who
          died in Chicago in 1931. The obit contains the sentence "Pozdeji presidlil
          do Ceske Kalifornie, kde se zakoupil na Central Park ave., blize 24. ul."
          Has anyone heard of such a place? Seems to have been in Chicago, nikoliv v
          Kalifornii neceske....

          Michael

          --
          There's no such thing as legacies. At least, there is a legacy, but I'll
          never see it."

          - George W. Bush, Jan. 31, 2001

          Czechlist resources:

          Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 4 , May 9, 2003
            On 5/9/03 12:33 PM, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

            > Found a couple of sites that might help:
            >
            > Czech-American Historic Places & Monuments. By Miloslav Rechcigl ...
            > ... OTHER CZECH CHICAGO SITES Czech California Location between Rockwell Ave.
            > and Trumbull along 26th St. Pilsen Location: between Morgan St. and Western
            > ave. ...
            > hometown.aol.com/rechcigl/myhomepage/favorite.html

            Thanks! Being braindead, I never thought to search without diacritics....
            Michael

            --
            The future will be better tomorrow.
            - George W. Bush