Re: [Czechlist] TERM: mouth balling - Urgent!

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , May 5, 2003
      In a message dated 5/5/03 5:22:53 PM, tritt002@... writes:

      >That was how I understood it, too. Maybe it's just 30 years of
      >deformation by French, but I think the expression is used that way in
      >English, too, at least in N.A.

      I think it's deformation by French (which I also have). I don't think you'd
      ever hear "interesting" used in North America to mean "economically
      worthwhile", particularly not in a formal context. It really sticks out when
      foreigners use it that way.

      Jamie
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , May 5, 2003
        In a message dated 5/5/03 5:47:03 PM, transman@... writes:

        > My first thought when I read the
        >> sentence was that while a couple was waiting for something they were
        sexually
        >> kissing ("to ball" can mean to have sexual intercourse in US English, and
        >> "mouthballing while waiting" sounded to me like French kissing while
        sitting
        >> in a waiting room).

        >Tsk, tsk, now we know where *your* mind's at! :-D

        I once worked at a communications company that had a lot of bad writers. I
        went on a five-week vacation, and when I returned, all the women in my
        department said, "THANK GOD YOU'RE BACK!" It wasn't because I'm such a
        s^vihak, but because they were not capable of noticing all the dirty double
        entendres that very often accidentally cropped up in the writers' work. I
        guess there had been a couple of embarrassments while I was gone.

        Here's a great one from a document that company produced as a plan for a
        cost-saving program for one of the Big Three automakers:

        "Individuals and groups are rewarded for their accomplishments in waste
        elimination."

        I was the first one to think that sounded like praising children during
        toilet training. After that, everybody saw it, and they had to change it.