Re: [Czechlist] TERM: mouth balling - Urgent!

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 10 , May 5 2:43 PM
      On 5/5/03 3:52 PM, "JPKIRCHNER@..." <JPKIRCHNER@...> wrote:

      > In a message dated 5/5/03 4:39:14 PM, transman@... writes:
      >
      >>> CONTEXT:
      >>> I understand that "mouth balling" would be physically and economically
      >>> interesting while waiting
      >
      >> This sentence makes no sense to me, but your term is almost certainly a
      >> typo/error for 'mothballing', i.e. decommissioning something for long-term
      >> storage.
      >
      > But when is mothballing something ever "interesting"? Especially
      > *physically* interesting? If the author misspelled "mothballing", then he or
      > she also misused the word "interesting".

      Yes, but remember that the author is not a native English speaker.
      "Physically and economically interesting" may simply mean convenient and
      cheap, and "while waiting" also seems to fit the idea of mothballing.

      My first thought when I read the
      > sentence was that while a couple was waiting for something they were sexually
      > kissing ("to ball" can mean to have sexual intercourse in US English, and
      > "mouthballing while waiting" sounded to me like French kissing while sitting
      > in a waiting room).

      Tsk, tsk, now we know where *your* mind's at! :-D

      Michael

      --
      "Et le peuple ému répondit..."
      "The purple emu laid another egg..."
      Message 2 of 10 , May 5 5:27 PM
        In a message dated 5/5/03 5:22:53 PM, tritt002@... writes:

        >That was how I understood it, too. Maybe it's just 30 years of
        >deformation by French, but I think the expression is used that way in
        >English, too, at least in N.A.

        I think it's deformation by French (which I also have). I don't think you'd
        ever hear "interesting" used in North America to mean "economically
        worthwhile", particularly not in a formal context. It really sticks out when
        foreigners use it that way.

        Jamie
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , May 5 5:34 PM
          In a message dated 5/5/03 5:47:03 PM, transman@... writes:

          > My first thought when I read the
          >> sentence was that while a couple was waiting for something they were
          sexually
          >> kissing ("to ball" can mean to have sexual intercourse in US English, and
          >> "mouthballing while waiting" sounded to me like French kissing while
          sitting
          >> in a waiting room).

          >Tsk, tsk, now we know where *your* mind's at! :-D

          I once worked at a communications company that had a lot of bad writers. I
          went on a five-week vacation, and when I returned, all the women in my
          department said, "THANK GOD YOU'RE BACK!" It wasn't because I'm such a
          s^vihak, but because they were not capable of noticing all the dirty double
          entendres that very often accidentally cropped up in the writers' work. I
          guess there had been a couple of embarrassments while I was gone.

          Here's a great one from a document that company produced as a plan for a
          cost-saving program for one of the Big Three automakers:

          "Individuals and groups are rewarded for their accomplishments in waste
          elimination."

          I was the first one to think that sounded like praising children during
          toilet training. After that, everybody saw it, and they had to change it.