Re: [Czechlist] TERM: mouth balling - Urgent!

  • Michael Trittipo
    Message 1 of 10 , May 5, 2003
      JPKIRCHNER@... wrote:

      >But when is mothballing something ever "interesting"?
      >

      >. . . would be worthwhile both physically and economically."
      >
      >or
      >
      >"I understand that putting [the products, materials, or whatever the context
      >mentions] into storage would be worthwhile both physically and economically."

      That was how I understood it, too. Maybe it's just 30 years of
      deformation by French, but I think the expression is used that way in
      English, too, at least in N.A.
    • Petr Jarolím
      Message 2 of 10 , May 5, 2003
        Dear Michael (Trittipo), Beata, Michael (Grant), and Jamie!

        Thanks a lot for your prompt inputs!
        regards

        Hana
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 10 , May 5, 2003
          On 5/5/03 3:52 PM, "JPKIRCHNER@..." <JPKIRCHNER@...> wrote:

          > In a message dated 5/5/03 4:39:14 PM, transman@... writes:
          >
          >>> CONTEXT:
          >>> I understand that "mouth balling" would be physically and economically
          >>> interesting while waiting
          >
          >> This sentence makes no sense to me, but your term is almost certainly a
          >> typo/error for 'mothballing', i.e. decommissioning something for long-term
          >> storage.
          >
          > But when is mothballing something ever "interesting"? Especially
          > *physically* interesting? If the author misspelled "mothballing", then he or
          > she also misused the word "interesting".

          Yes, but remember that the author is not a native English speaker.
          "Physically and economically interesting" may simply mean convenient and
          cheap, and "while waiting" also seems to fit the idea of mothballing.

          My first thought when I read the
          > sentence was that while a couple was waiting for something they were sexually
          > kissing ("to ball" can mean to have sexual intercourse in US English, and
          > "mouthballing while waiting" sounded to me like French kissing while sitting
          > in a waiting room).

          Tsk, tsk, now we know where *your* mind's at! :-D

          Michael

          --
          "Et le peuple ému répondit..."
          "The purple emu laid another egg..."
          Message 4 of 10 , May 5, 2003
            In a message dated 5/5/03 5:22:53 PM, tritt002@... writes:

            >That was how I understood it, too. Maybe it's just 30 years of
            >deformation by French, but I think the expression is used that way in
            >English, too, at least in N.A.

            I think it's deformation by French (which I also have). I don't think you'd
            ever hear "interesting" used in North America to mean "economically
            worthwhile", particularly not in a formal context. It really sticks out when
            foreigners use it that way.

            Jamie
          • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , May 5, 2003
              In a message dated 5/5/03 5:47:03 PM, transman@... writes:

              > My first thought when I read the
              >> sentence was that while a couple was waiting for something they were
              sexually
              >> kissing ("to ball" can mean to have sexual intercourse in US English, and
              >> "mouthballing while waiting" sounded to me like French kissing while
              sitting
              >> in a waiting room).

              >Tsk, tsk, now we know where *your* mind's at! :-D

              I once worked at a communications company that had a lot of bad writers. I
              went on a five-week vacation, and when I returned, all the women in my
              department said, "THANK GOD YOU'RE BACK!" It wasn't because I'm such a
              s^vihak, but because they were not capable of noticing all the dirty double
              entendres that very often accidentally cropped up in the writers' work. I
              guess there had been a couple of embarrassments while I was gone.

              Here's a great one from a document that company produced as a plan for a
              cost-saving program for one of the Big Three automakers:

              "Individuals and groups are rewarded for their accomplishments in waste
              elimination."

              I was the first one to think that sounded like praising children during
              toilet training. After that, everybody saw it, and they had to change it.