Re: [Czechlist] TERM: mouth balling - Urgent!

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , May 5, 2003
      In a message dated 5/5/03 4:39:14 PM, transman@... writes:

      >> CONTEXT:
      >> I understand that "mouth balling" would be physically and economically
      >> interesting while waiting

      >This sentence makes no sense to me, but your term is almost certainly a
      >typo/error for 'mothballing', i.e. decommissioning something for long-term
      >storage.

      But when is mothballing something ever "interesting"? Especially
      *physically* interesting? If the author misspelled "mothballing", then he or
      she also misused the word "interesting". My first thought when I read the
      sentence was that while a couple was waiting for something they were sexually
      kissing ("to ball" can mean to have sexual intercourse in US English, and
      "mouthballing while waiting" sounded to me like French kissing while sitting
      in a waiting room).

      I've looked up "interessant" in French, and it doesn't always mean
      interesting. It can also mean advantageous in monetary terms. So, I guess
      translated from Euro-English into English, the sentence would mean this:

      "I understand that mothballing [the products, materials, or whatever the
      context mentions; you need a direct object] would be worthwhile both
      physically and economically."

      or

      "I understand that putting [the products, materials, or whatever the context
      mentions] into storage would be worthwhile both physically and economically."

      Jamie
    • Michael Trittipo
      Message 2 of 10 , May 5, 2003
        JPKIRCHNER@... wrote:

        >But when is mothballing something ever "interesting"?
        >

        >. . . would be worthwhile both physically and economically."
        >
        >or
        >
        >"I understand that putting [the products, materials, or whatever the context
        >mentions] into storage would be worthwhile both physically and economically."

        That was how I understood it, too. Maybe it's just 30 years of
        deformation by French, but I think the expression is used that way in
        English, too, at least in N.A.
      • Petr Jarolím
        Message 3 of 10 , May 5, 2003
          Dear Michael (Trittipo), Beata, Michael (Grant), and Jamie!

          Thanks a lot for your prompt inputs!
          regards

          Hana
        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 10 , May 5, 2003
            On 5/5/03 3:52 PM, "JPKIRCHNER@..." <JPKIRCHNER@...> wrote:

            > In a message dated 5/5/03 4:39:14 PM, transman@... writes:
            >
            >>> CONTEXT:
            >>> I understand that "mouth balling" would be physically and economically
            >>> interesting while waiting
            >
            >> This sentence makes no sense to me, but your term is almost certainly a
            >> typo/error for 'mothballing', i.e. decommissioning something for long-term
            >> storage.
            >
            > But when is mothballing something ever "interesting"? Especially
            > *physically* interesting? If the author misspelled "mothballing", then he or
            > she also misused the word "interesting".

            Yes, but remember that the author is not a native English speaker.
            "Physically and economically interesting" may simply mean convenient and
            cheap, and "while waiting" also seems to fit the idea of mothballing.

            My first thought when I read the
            > sentence was that while a couple was waiting for something they were sexually
            > kissing ("to ball" can mean to have sexual intercourse in US English, and
            > "mouthballing while waiting" sounded to me like French kissing while sitting
            > in a waiting room).

            Tsk, tsk, now we know where *your* mind's at! :-D

            Michael

            --
            "Et le peuple ému répondit..."
            "The purple emu laid another egg..."
            Message 5 of 10 , May 5, 2003
              In a message dated 5/5/03 5:22:53 PM, tritt002@... writes:

              >That was how I understood it, too. Maybe it's just 30 years of
              >deformation by French, but I think the expression is used that way in
              >English, too, at least in N.A.

              I think it's deformation by French (which I also have). I don't think you'd
              ever hear "interesting" used in North America to mean "economically
              worthwhile", particularly not in a formal context. It really sticks out when
              foreigners use it that way.

              Jamie
            • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , May 5, 2003
                In a message dated 5/5/03 5:47:03 PM, transman@... writes:

                > My first thought when I read the
                >> sentence was that while a couple was waiting for something they were
                sexually
                >> kissing ("to ball" can mean to have sexual intercourse in US English, and
                >> "mouthballing while waiting" sounded to me like French kissing while
                sitting
                >> in a waiting room).

                >Tsk, tsk, now we know where *your* mind's at! :-D

                I once worked at a communications company that had a lot of bad writers. I
                went on a five-week vacation, and when I returned, all the women in my
                department said, "THANK GOD YOU'RE BACK!" It wasn't because I'm such a
                s^vihak, but because they were not capable of noticing all the dirty double
                entendres that very often accidentally cropped up in the writers' work. I
                guess there had been a couple of embarrassments while I was gone.

                Here's a great one from a document that company produced as a plan for a
                cost-saving program for one of the Big Three automakers:

                "Individuals and groups are rewarded for their accomplishments in waste
                elimination."

                I was the first one to think that sounded like praising children during
                toilet training. After that, everybody saw it, and they had to change it.