Re: TERM: mouth balling - Urgent!

  • Beata Rodlingova
    Message 1 of 10 , May 5, 2003
      Hana,
      a French NS says it does not ring a bell. (he adds, half-jokingly, 'unless it is a Belgian expression')
      Two possibilities I thought of:
      1.'mouth balling' meant to mean 'gagging', i.e. silencing somebody
      2.typo, should be 'moth balling', i.e. setting something aside and preserving it.

      I am probably way off the right track but nothing else comes to my mind.
      BR
      Beata

      > CONTEXT:
      > I understand that "mouth balling" would be physically and economically
      > interesting while waiting
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 10 , May 5, 2003
        On 5/5/03 1:20 PM, "Petr Jarolím" <ok2med@...> wrote:

        > Could you help me please?
        > What is the meaning of "mouth balling" in the sentence below? BTW, the
        > author seems to be French....
        > Thanks everybody in advance,
        >
        > regards
        > Hana
        > (and prompt feedfack would be really appreciated, as I am supposed to
        > hand in the translation by tommorow and Google gives no hits...)
        >
        > CONTEXT:
        > I understand that "mouth balling" would be physically and economically
        > interesting while waiting

        This sentence makes no sense to me, but your term is almost certainly a
        typo/error for 'mothballing', i.e. decommissioning something for long-term
        storage.

        Michael

        --
        Fewer Bushes, More Trees!
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , May 5, 2003
          In a message dated 5/5/03 4:39:14 PM, transman@... writes:

          >> CONTEXT:
          >> I understand that "mouth balling" would be physically and economically
          >> interesting while waiting

          >This sentence makes no sense to me, but your term is almost certainly a
          >typo/error for 'mothballing', i.e. decommissioning something for long-term
          >storage.

          But when is mothballing something ever "interesting"? Especially
          *physically* interesting? If the author misspelled "mothballing", then he or
          she also misused the word "interesting". My first thought when I read the
          sentence was that while a couple was waiting for something they were sexually
          kissing ("to ball" can mean to have sexual intercourse in US English, and
          "mouthballing while waiting" sounded to me like French kissing while sitting
          in a waiting room).

          I've looked up "interessant" in French, and it doesn't always mean
          interesting. It can also mean advantageous in monetary terms. So, I guess
          translated from Euro-English into English, the sentence would mean this:

          "I understand that mothballing [the products, materials, or whatever the
          context mentions; you need a direct object] would be worthwhile both
          physically and economically."

          or

          "I understand that putting [the products, materials, or whatever the context
          mentions] into storage would be worthwhile both physically and economically."

          Jamie
        • Michael Trittipo
          Message 4 of 10 , May 5, 2003
            JPKIRCHNER@... wrote:

            >But when is mothballing something ever "interesting"?
            >

            >. . . would be worthwhile both physically and economically."
            >
            >or
            >
            >"I understand that putting [the products, materials, or whatever the context
            >mentions] into storage would be worthwhile both physically and economically."

            That was how I understood it, too. Maybe it's just 30 years of
            deformation by French, but I think the expression is used that way in
            English, too, at least in N.A.
          • Petr Jarolím
            Message 5 of 10 , May 5, 2003
              Dear Michael (Trittipo), Beata, Michael (Grant), and Jamie!

              Thanks a lot for your prompt inputs!
              regards

              Hana
            • Michael Grant
              Message 6 of 10 , May 5, 2003
                On 5/5/03 3:52 PM, "JPKIRCHNER@..." <JPKIRCHNER@...> wrote:

                > In a message dated 5/5/03 4:39:14 PM, transman@... writes:
                >
                >>> CONTEXT:
                >>> I understand that "mouth balling" would be physically and economically
                >>> interesting while waiting
                >
                >> This sentence makes no sense to me, but your term is almost certainly a
                >> typo/error for 'mothballing', i.e. decommissioning something for long-term
                >> storage.
                >
                > But when is mothballing something ever "interesting"? Especially
                > *physically* interesting? If the author misspelled "mothballing", then he or
                > she also misused the word "interesting".

                Yes, but remember that the author is not a native English speaker.
                "Physically and economically interesting" may simply mean convenient and
                cheap, and "while waiting" also seems to fit the idea of mothballing.

                My first thought when I read the
                > sentence was that while a couple was waiting for something they were sexually
                > kissing ("to ball" can mean to have sexual intercourse in US English, and
                > "mouthballing while waiting" sounded to me like French kissing while sitting
                > in a waiting room).

                Tsk, tsk, now we know where *your* mind's at! :-D

                Michael

                --
                "Et le peuple ému répondit..."
                "The purple emu laid another egg..."
                Message 7 of 10 , May 5, 2003
                  In a message dated 5/5/03 5:22:53 PM, tritt002@... writes:

                  >That was how I understood it, too. Maybe it's just 30 years of
                  >deformation by French, but I think the expression is used that way in
                  >English, too, at least in N.A.

                  I think it's deformation by French (which I also have). I don't think you'd
                  ever hear "interesting" used in North America to mean "economically
                  worthwhile", particularly not in a formal context. It really sticks out when
                  foreigners use it that way.

                  Jamie
                • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 5, 2003
                    In a message dated 5/5/03 5:47:03 PM, transman@... writes:

                    > My first thought when I read the
                    >> sentence was that while a couple was waiting for something they were
                    sexually
                    >> kissing ("to ball" can mean to have sexual intercourse in US English, and
                    >> "mouthballing while waiting" sounded to me like French kissing while
                    sitting
                    >> in a waiting room).

                    >Tsk, tsk, now we know where *your* mind's at! :-D

                    I once worked at a communications company that had a lot of bad writers. I
                    went on a five-week vacation, and when I returned, all the women in my
                    department said, "THANK GOD YOU'RE BACK!" It wasn't because I'm such a
                    s^vihak, but because they were not capable of noticing all the dirty double
                    entendres that very often accidentally cropped up in the writers' work. I
                    guess there had been a couple of embarrassments while I was gone.

                    Here's a great one from a document that company produced as a plan for a
                    cost-saving program for one of the Big Three automakers:

                    "Individuals and groups are rewarded for their accomplishments in waste
                    elimination."

                    I was the first one to think that sounded like praising children during
                    toilet training. After that, everybody saw it, and they had to change it.