HELP TERM "pametni list/medaile [mesta]"

  • David Fuchs
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2003
      Hi list,

      I wonder if some native speakers could comment on how best to render
      'pametni list [mesta Plzne]' in English. There are some hits on Google for
      'commemorative deed' or 'commemorative certificate' but I'm not too sure.
      The translation should express dignity, honour, pride etc. Also, it should
      roll off the tongue naturally if possible because I need this for
      interpreting.

      BTW, are there any other solutions for 'pametni medaile' other than
      'commemorative medal/plaque' and is the UK/US divide worth mentioning here?

      TIA,

      David
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2003
        In a message dated 4/30/03 8:19:29 AM, david@... writes:

        > I wonder if some native speakers could comment on how best to render
        > 'pametni list [mesta Plzne]' in English. There are some hits on Google for
        > 'commemorative deed' or 'commemorative certificate' but I'm not too sure.
        > The translation should express dignity, honour, pride etc. Also, it should
        > roll off the tongue naturally if possible because I need this for
        > interpreting.
        >
        > In the US "commemorative certificate" would be fine, but a "deed" is a
        document that proves ownership of property, so that won't work. At least so
        far, I don't think they've awarded ownership of the city of Plzen to anyone,
        but you never know what the future will bring.

        > BTW, are there any other solutions for 'pametni medaile' other than
        > 'commemorative medal/plaque' and is the UK/US divide worth mentioning here?

        "Commemorative medal" and "commemorative plaque" are fine in the US,
        depending on whether it is a medal or a plaque.

      • David Fuchs
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2003
          Thanks, Jamie, for your comment on this.

          David