Re: [Czechlist] Television programme titles - CHAT

  • David Fuchs
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2003
      Hi,

      > "Don't Hesitate and Shoot". I use this on linguistics tests at the
      > university in order for the students to diagram the structural ambiguity.
      > Is it:
      > Don't [hesitate] and [shoot]
      > or
      > [Don't hesitate] and [(don't) shoot]
      > ?

      I'd be equally worried about potential semantic ambiguity and what kind of
      connotations this title might bring up. Remember that old joke about the
      panda bear that 'eats shoots and leaves' / 'eats, shoots and leaves'? What
      I'm asking is: would the structural ambiguity be the only reason why Coilin
      should avoid this translation?

      David
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2003
        In a message dated 4/4/03 7:42:12 AM, david@... writes:

        > What
        > I'm asking is: would the structural ambiguity be the only reason why Coilin
        > should avoid this translation?

        I would translate it as something like, "Hurry Up and Shoot!" The meaning
        of "shoot" would have to come from context.