Re: [Czechlist] Title Case

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
      In a message dated 4/4/03 2:13:00 AM, mklimes@... writes:

      > While working on an annual report just now, the proofreader (affiliated with
      > the graphic studio, but very good) told me "They should be written like
      > this, with the exception of upper case words, i.e. Board of Directors".
      >
      > Can anyone comment?
      >
      > Chapter headings are normally written in the title case, according to
      ordinary rules, but designers often have the freedom to capitalize them as in
      ordinary text, or even to write everything all lower-case, if they are
      getting very riskily "designy".

      So, if the designer says it's a RULE that chapter headings NOT be written in
      the title case, she is completely wrong. If she said, "I know the rule is
      that chapter headings should be written in the title case, but in this design
      I want it done differently," then she would be making an acceptable design
      decision, at least in American magazine (and annual report) publishing, and I
      believe also in the UK.

      Subheads within the text are normally -- but don't have to be -- written in
      text case.

      > And while we're at it -  we did an artsy book translation and the graphic
      > designer is Czech - what are the rules for end of the line things, are
      > articles (the, a) allowed to be left at the end of the line??

      I have never seen any rule in the style manuals that dictates what can and
      can't be left at the end of a line, but common sense dictates that articles
      should be before their nouns (unless the noun is preceded by a bunch of
      adjectives and you need a line break after one of them). I have never seen a
      rule that says prepositions can't come at the end of a line, but I would
      never let the shorter ones (in, at) hang there (my objection to this may come
      from Czech, though). On the other hand, my former magazine editor's eye
      keeps telling me that "of" can end a line. Certainly longer prepositions
      (with, between, throughout) can end lines. Besides this, I would also not
      tend to hyphenate a word in a title, if I can possibly avoid it. In any
      case, I think that English typograhpy is more improvised and more based on
      what "looks good" and "reads well" than on rules.

      While we're at it, I should mention that Czech designers have to be watched
      so that they don't use Czech hyphenation in English. English hyphenation
      rules are very complex, and you need to be sure that "English hyphenation" is
      turned on in the page layout program, and that any hyphenations the designer
      does by hand are correct. Bad hyphenation can be extremely distracting,
      especially when the Czech designer hyphenates one-syllable words.

      I hope this helps you. If people can correct any of it, I'd like to read
      their comments.

    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
        In a message dated 4/4/03 3:08:49 AM, karel6005@... writes:

        > (BTW No.2: Would anyone have a tip where and how to order books like
        > this here in Cz? Seems to me that apart from taking a personal trip
        > to Charing Cross bookstores there are not many possibilities.)

        When a buddy of mine without a credit card needed English books in Prague,
        and needed them fast, I would order them for him from Amazon.de. They seem
        to have access to any book you can get from Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk, but
        the books arrive faster than they do from the US and the shipping cost to the
        CR is lower.

      • Zdenek Mikan
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
          IMHO this solution (amazon.de) is much cheaper than STARMAN BOHEMIA.

          Zdenek