Television programme titles

  • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2003
      Hi there folks!

      I am translating an article on television and media in the Czech Republic.
      The text contains lots of programme titles. The client has told me to leave
      them in the original but to include a free translation in brackets beside
      them. Quite a few are straighforward, but I am at a loss as to what to do
      with some of them. Consequently, I would be grateful if any of you might
      like to offer some suggestions for the following:

      Dobroty
      Lucie na bilo :-)
      Paskal
      Politicke haraseni
      Rady ptaka Loskutaka
      Strepiny
      Tyjatr
      Zalety

      Any ideas anyone...

      MTIA
      Coilin
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2003
        Just avoid the official CTV titles of some of them. I don't know if it's
        still on TV, but the CTV website used to have Nevahej a toc translated as
        "Don't Hesitate and Shoot". I use this on linguistics tests at the
        university in order for the students to diagram the structural ambiguity.

        Is it:

        Don't [hesitate] and [shoot]

        or

        [Don't hesitate] and [(don't) shoot]

        ?

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2003
          Structural ambiguities aside,

          You need to be a TV Nova regular for those to mean anything to you in any
          language....

          I don't watch it, but from the TV listings etc., I know the following...
          question is, are we trying to translate the "sound and feel" of the title,
          or "what the programme is about", I think the second (alternatively both)
          will be more usefull for Eng speakers...

          I list type of programme, literal and tentative "creative" translation
          below:

          > Dobroty (Is it a TV cooking thing??? not sure), Munchies, ditto
          > Lucie na bilo (The infamous Klaus' fan's Lucie Bila's show), no sense
          in translating it
          > Paskal
          > Politicke haraseni (no idea), Political harasment,
          > Rady ptaka Loskutaka (a kind of DIY show??), no sense, They had a similar
          thing in Australia called Healthy, wealthy and wise
          > Strepiny ???, the bits of shrapnel that wound
          people, what's that called?
          > Tyjatr ???, slang for (bad) theatre, or
          someone pretending something
          > Zalety ???, byt na zaletech means go out
          and chase women and it implies that the person who does the chasing has his
          own woman at home, think it works for women chasing men too...???

          Hope it helps, I wouldn't bother translating unless the article talked
          specifically about titles.....

          Matej
        • Beata Rodlingova
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2003
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Matej Klimes" <mklimes@m...> wrote:
            > I list type of programme, literal and tentative "creative" translation
            > below:
            > > Paskal

            I presume this is supposed to be a pun on 'vzi't si ne^co / ne^koho na pas^=
            ka'l', i.e. discuss a (current) issue throughouly, with an emphasis on its n=
            egative parts. Just an idea - Zoom(=in), In focus...

            http://telemanie.wz.cz/atdzpravy.htm: 13.1. 2003 Karel Šíp p?ipravuje nový =
            po?ad s názvem Paškál.

            HTH at least a bit
            Beata
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4, 2003
              Hi Coilin,

              I'm not sure if all the programmes you have listed are Nova TV production, but
              you may want to check out their website at www.nova.cz where you can, for
              example, click on "Vase televize" and then on "Seznam poradu". If some of the
              programmes come from Czech TV, their website is at www.czech-tv.cz.