Re: [Czechlist] Internetova prezentace

  • Josef Hlavac
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
      Hi Coilin,

      > "internetova prezentace" [...] just a fancy expression for "website".

      that's what I think, too - a website, perhaps a fancy one.

      Joe

      --
      Mailto: Josef "Joe" Hlavac <joe@...>
      Phone: +420-776-736715
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Josef Hlavac <joe@h...> wrote:
        > Hi Coilin,
        >
        > > "internetova prezentace" [...] just a fancy expression for "website".
        >
        > that's what I think, too - a website, perhaps a fancy one.

        If it's fancy then how about "Internet/web showcase"?

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
          Actually, I think there's nothing fancy in an "internetova prezentace",
          except maybe the speaker's trying to be fancy...

          Quite often one of those "Hello, this is the webpage of the XY s.r.o.
          company..." (and nothing else except for a snail mail address) excuses for
          websites will be called internetova prezentace...

          Website does not have a Czech equivalent (apart from the IT techhie slang
          "sajt", we tend to say internetove or webove stranky, which does not sound
          very good, nor it is technically correct, that's why some people try to say
          something more fancy...).

          IMHO website is the best equivalent in English, unless the site has some
          special features, in which case you may go for something like web-based
          database, etc. etc...

        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2003
            Can anyone imagine some American or British corporate or advertising person
            calling their website a "web presentation" of their company, services, etc.?
            It sounds quite normal to me, and I'm sure I've heard it. It's not an
            equivalent of "website", exactly, but more a description of what they're
            using the website for.

            And what does the group think about the term "webside", commonly seen on
            websites in countries where final consonants are always devoiced? ;-)

          • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
              > Can anyone imagine some American or British corporate or advertising
              person
              > calling their website a "web presentation" of their company, services,
              etc.?
              > It sounds quite normal to me, and I'm sure I've heard it. It's not an
              > equivalent of "website", exactly, but more a description of what they're
              > using the website for.

              I must say "web presentation" is definitely a lot better than "internet
              presentation" and I would even consider using this when if and when I come
              across "internetova presentace" in a job. Thanks to everyone for their
              suggestions.

              Speaking of the internet, what do the other NSers think with regard to
              capitalisation. When the word first became common parlance I always
              capitalised it as I perceived it as a place, but now I am getting used to
              seeing it in lower case and the capitalised version looks a little
              cumbersome now. Having said that, both Word spellcheck and the COED
              capitalise the word so I still do as well. I can't help feeling a little
              old fashioned though... What do you guys do?

              Coilin
            • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
                In a message dated 4/4/03 7:44:52 AM, coilin.oconnor@... writes:

                > Speaking of the internet, what do the other NSers think with regard to
                > capitalisation.  When the word first became common parlance I always
                > capitalised it as I perceived it as a place, but now I am getting used to
                > seeing it in lower case and the capitalised version looks a little
                > cumbersome now.  Having said that, both Word spellcheck and the COED
                > capitalise the word so I still do as well.  I can't help feeling a little
                > old fashioned though... What do you guys do?

                That one's still in flux, and the dictionaries can't keep up with it. It's
                like the old days when proofreaders would have fights with techies because
                the Webster's still listed "data base".

                I still capitalize "Internet", but I think I'm about to start lowercasing it.

                Remember the good old days of "Web site"?

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
                  I capitalize it (in English, and in Czech) when talking about Internet as in
                  "the thing" and lower-case it in words like internet-based, or internetova
                  in Czech... more a personal taste than a rule...

                  Is that being inconsistent??

                  M----- Original Message -----
                  > > Speaking of the internet, what do the other NSers think with regard to
                  > > capitalisation. When the word first became common parlance I always
                  > > capitalised it as I perceived it as a place, but now I am getting used
                  > > seeing it in lower case and the capitalised version looks a little
                  > > cumbersome now. Having said that, both Word spellcheck and the COED
                  > > capitalise the word so I still do as well. I can't help feeling a little
                  > > old fashioned though... What do you guys do?
                  > >
                  > That one's still in flux, and the dictionaries can't keep up with it.
                  It's
                  > like the old days when proofreaders would have fights with techies because
                  > the Webster's still listed "data base".
                  >
                  > I still capitalize "Internet", but I think I'm about to start lowercasing
                  it.

                  > Remember the good old days of "Web site"?

                  > Czechlist resources:

                • tomas_barendregt
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor"
                    <coilin.oconnor@s...> wrote:
                    > Hi there folks,
                    >
                    > I have seen the expression "internetova prezentace" cropping up on
                    a few
                    > advertising blurbs recently. As this does not readily translate
                    into
                    > English "doslovne" (Internet Presentation sounds a bit odd to
                    despite quite
                    > a few Google hits), I was wondering if this is not just a fancy
                    expression
                    > for "website".

                    I think this corresponds to "web presence" in English. Oodles of hits
                    on Google.

                    "Do you think our web presence conveys fairly what this company is
                    all about?" asked Mr. Petalnose, worried that the black and crimson
                    website of his flower shop may not be quite the thing his customers
                    would expect.

                    Tom