Re: Internetova prezentace

  • kzgafas
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
      > Hi there folks,
      >
      > I have seen the expression "internetova prezentace" cropping up on
      a few
      > advertising blurbs recently. As this does not readily translate
      into
      > English "doslovne" (Internet Presentation sounds a bit odd to
      despite quite
      > a few Google hits), I was wondering if this is not just a fancy
      expression
      > for "website".
      >
      > Any additional info from Czech NSers would be welcome... :)
      >
      > I am asking this as a kind of premptive strike as I am sure I am
      going to
      > come across it in a job someday.
      >
      > TIA
      >
      > Coilin

      To follow your preemptive strike by a humanitarian response:

      Yes, of course. Maybe people express by "internetova presentace" more
      emphasis on presentation features that may be missing in many
      websites.

      Kostas
      Don't forget the wide range of humanitarian response.:-)
    • Josef Hlavac
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
        Hi Coilin,

        > "internetova prezentace" [...] just a fancy expression for "website".

        that's what I think, too - a website, perhaps a fancy one.

        Joe

        --
        Mailto: Josef "Joe" Hlavac <joe@...>
        Phone: +420-776-736715
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Josef Hlavac <joe@h...> wrote:
          > Hi Coilin,
          >
          > > "internetova prezentace" [...] just a fancy expression for "website".
          >
          > that's what I think, too - a website, perhaps a fancy one.

          If it's fancy then how about "Internet/web showcase"?

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
            Actually, I think there's nothing fancy in an "internetova prezentace",
            except maybe the speaker's trying to be fancy...

            Quite often one of those "Hello, this is the webpage of the XY s.r.o.
            company..." (and nothing else except for a snail mail address) excuses for
            websites will be called internetova prezentace...

            Website does not have a Czech equivalent (apart from the IT techhie slang
            "sajt", we tend to say internetove or webove stranky, which does not sound
            very good, nor it is technically correct, that's why some people try to say
            something more fancy...).

            IMHO website is the best equivalent in English, unless the site has some
            special features, in which case you may go for something like web-based
            database, etc. etc...

          • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2, 2003
              Can anyone imagine some American or British corporate or advertising person
              calling their website a "web presentation" of their company, services, etc.?
              It sounds quite normal to me, and I'm sure I've heard it. It's not an
              equivalent of "website", exactly, but more a description of what they're
              using the website for.

              And what does the group think about the term "webside", commonly seen on
              websites in countries where final consonants are always devoiced? ;-)

            • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
                > Can anyone imagine some American or British corporate or advertising
                person
                > calling their website a "web presentation" of their company, services,
                etc.?
                > It sounds quite normal to me, and I'm sure I've heard it. It's not an
                > equivalent of "website", exactly, but more a description of what they're
                > using the website for.

                I must say "web presentation" is definitely a lot better than "internet
                presentation" and I would even consider using this when if and when I come
                across "internetova presentace" in a job. Thanks to everyone for their
                suggestions.

                Speaking of the internet, what do the other NSers think with regard to
                capitalisation. When the word first became common parlance I always
                capitalised it as I perceived it as a place, but now I am getting used to
                seeing it in lower case and the capitalised version looks a little
                cumbersome now. Having said that, both Word spellcheck and the COED
                capitalise the word so I still do as well. I can't help feeling a little
                old fashioned though... What do you guys do?

                Coilin
              • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
                  In a message dated 4/4/03 7:44:52 AM, coilin.oconnor@... writes:

                  > Speaking of the internet, what do the other NSers think with regard to
                  > capitalisation.  When the word first became common parlance I always
                  > capitalised it as I perceived it as a place, but now I am getting used to
                  > seeing it in lower case and the capitalised version looks a little
                  > cumbersome now.  Having said that, both Word spellcheck and the COED
                  > capitalise the word so I still do as well.  I can't help feeling a little
                  > old fashioned though... What do you guys do?

                  That one's still in flux, and the dictionaries can't keep up with it. It's
                  like the old days when proofreaders would have fights with techies because
                  the Webster's still listed "data base".

                  I still capitalize "Internet", but I think I'm about to start lowercasing it.

                  Remember the good old days of "Web site"?

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
                    I capitalize it (in English, and in Czech) when talking about Internet as in
                    "the thing" and lower-case it in words like internet-based, or internetova
                    in Czech... more a personal taste than a rule...

                    Is that being inconsistent??

                    M----- Original Message -----
                    > > Speaking of the internet, what do the other NSers think with regard to
                    > > capitalisation. When the word first became common parlance I always
                    > > capitalised it as I perceived it as a place, but now I am getting used
                    > > seeing it in lower case and the capitalised version looks a little
                    > > cumbersome now. Having said that, both Word spellcheck and the COED
                    > > capitalise the word so I still do as well. I can't help feeling a little
                    > > old fashioned though... What do you guys do?
                    > >
                    > That one's still in flux, and the dictionaries can't keep up with it.
                    It's
                    > like the old days when proofreaders would have fights with techies because
                    > the Webster's still listed "data base".
                    >
                    > I still capitalize "Internet", but I think I'm about to start lowercasing
                    it.

                    > Remember the good old days of "Web site"?

                    > Czechlist resources:

                  • tomas_barendregt
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor"
                      <coilin.oconnor@s...> wrote:
                      > Hi there folks,
                      >
                      > I have seen the expression "internetova prezentace" cropping up on
                      a few
                      > advertising blurbs recently. As this does not readily translate
                      into
                      > English "doslovne" (Internet Presentation sounds a bit odd to
                      despite quite
                      > a few Google hits), I was wondering if this is not just a fancy
                      expression
                      > for "website".

                      I think this corresponds to "web presence" in English. Oodles of hits
                      on Google.

                      "Do you think our web presence conveys fairly what this company is
                      all about?" asked Mr. Petalnose, worried that the black and crimson
                      website of his flower shop may not be quite the thing his customers
                      would expect.

                      Tom