Internetova prezentace

  • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
      Hi there folks,

      I have seen the expression "internetova prezentace" cropping up on a few
      advertising blurbs recently. As this does not readily translate into
      English "doslovne" (Internet Presentation sounds a bit odd to despite quite
      a few Google hits), I was wondering if this is not just a fancy expression
      for "website".

      Any additional info from Czech NSers would be welcome... :)

      I am asking this as a kind of premptive strike as I am sure I am going to
      come across it in a job someday.

      TIA

      Coilin
    • kzgafas
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
        > Hi there folks,
        >
        > I have seen the expression "internetova prezentace" cropping up on
        a few
        > advertising blurbs recently. As this does not readily translate
        into
        > English "doslovne" (Internet Presentation sounds a bit odd to
        despite quite
        > a few Google hits), I was wondering if this is not just a fancy
        expression
        > for "website".
        >
        > Any additional info from Czech NSers would be welcome... :)
        >
        > I am asking this as a kind of premptive strike as I am sure I am
        going to
        > come across it in a job someday.
        >
        > TIA
        >
        > Coilin

        To follow your preemptive strike by a humanitarian response:

        Yes, of course. Maybe people express by "internetova presentace" more
        emphasis on presentation features that may be missing in many
        websites.

        Kostas
        Don't forget the wide range of humanitarian response.:-)
      • Josef Hlavac
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
          Hi Coilin,

          > "internetova prezentace" [...] just a fancy expression for "website".

          that's what I think, too - a website, perhaps a fancy one.

          Joe

          --
          Mailto: Josef "Joe" Hlavac <joe@...>
          Phone: +420-776-736715
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, Josef Hlavac <joe@h...> wrote:
            > Hi Coilin,
            >
            > > "internetova prezentace" [...] just a fancy expression for "website".
            >
            > that's what I think, too - a website, perhaps a fancy one.

            If it's fancy then how about "Internet/web showcase"?

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
              Actually, I think there's nothing fancy in an "internetova prezentace",
              except maybe the speaker's trying to be fancy...

              Quite often one of those "Hello, this is the webpage of the XY s.r.o.
              company..." (and nothing else except for a snail mail address) excuses for
              websites will be called internetova prezentace...

              Website does not have a Czech equivalent (apart from the IT techhie slang
              "sajt", we tend to say internetove or webove stranky, which does not sound
              very good, nor it is technically correct, that's why some people try to say
              something more fancy...).

              IMHO website is the best equivalent in English, unless the site has some
              special features, in which case you may go for something like web-based
              database, etc. etc...

            • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2, 2003
                Can anyone imagine some American or British corporate or advertising person
                calling their website a "web presentation" of their company, services, etc.?
                It sounds quite normal to me, and I'm sure I've heard it. It's not an
                equivalent of "website", exactly, but more a description of what they're
                using the website for.

                And what does the group think about the term "webside", commonly seen on
                websites in countries where final consonants are always devoiced? ;-)

              • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
                  > Can anyone imagine some American or British corporate or advertising
                  person
                  > calling their website a "web presentation" of their company, services,
                  etc.?
                  > It sounds quite normal to me, and I'm sure I've heard it. It's not an
                  > equivalent of "website", exactly, but more a description of what they're
                  > using the website for.

                  I must say "web presentation" is definitely a lot better than "internet
                  presentation" and I would even consider using this when if and when I come
                  across "internetova presentace" in a job. Thanks to everyone for their
                  suggestions.

                  Speaking of the internet, what do the other NSers think with regard to
                  capitalisation. When the word first became common parlance I always
                  capitalised it as I perceived it as a place, but now I am getting used to
                  seeing it in lower case and the capitalised version looks a little
                  cumbersome now. Having said that, both Word spellcheck and the COED
                  capitalise the word so I still do as well. I can't help feeling a little
                  old fashioned though... What do you guys do?

                  Coilin
                • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
                    In a message dated 4/4/03 7:44:52 AM, coilin.oconnor@... writes:

                    > Speaking of the internet, what do the other NSers think with regard to
                    > capitalisation.  When the word first became common parlance I always
                    > capitalised it as I perceived it as a place, but now I am getting used to
                    > seeing it in lower case and the capitalised version looks a little
                    > cumbersome now.  Having said that, both Word spellcheck and the COED
                    > capitalise the word so I still do as well.  I can't help feeling a little
                    > old fashioned though... What do you guys do?

                    That one's still in flux, and the dictionaries can't keep up with it. It's
                    like the old days when proofreaders would have fights with techies because
                    the Webster's still listed "data base".

                    I still capitalize "Internet", but I think I'm about to start lowercasing it.

                    Remember the good old days of "Web site"?

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
                      I capitalize it (in English, and in Czech) when talking about Internet as in
                      "the thing" and lower-case it in words like internet-based, or internetova
                      in Czech... more a personal taste than a rule...

                      Is that being inconsistent??

                      M----- Original Message -----
                      > > Speaking of the internet, what do the other NSers think with regard to
                      > > capitalisation. When the word first became common parlance I always
                      > > capitalised it as I perceived it as a place, but now I am getting used
                      > > seeing it in lower case and the capitalised version looks a little
                      > > cumbersome now. Having said that, both Word spellcheck and the COED
                      > > capitalise the word so I still do as well. I can't help feeling a little
                      > > old fashioned though... What do you guys do?
                      > >
                      > That one's still in flux, and the dictionaries can't keep up with it.
                      It's
                      > like the old days when proofreaders would have fights with techies because
                      > the Webster's still listed "data base".
                      >
                      > I still capitalize "Internet", but I think I'm about to start lowercasing
                      it.

                      > Remember the good old days of "Web site"?

                      > Czechlist resources:

                    • tomas_barendregt
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 4, 2003
                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor"
                        <coilin.oconnor@s...> wrote:
                        > Hi there folks,
                        >
                        > I have seen the expression "internetova prezentace" cropping up on
                        a few
                        > advertising blurbs recently. As this does not readily translate
                        into
                        > English "doslovne" (Internet Presentation sounds a bit odd to
                        despite quite
                        > a few Google hits), I was wondering if this is not just a fancy
                        expression
                        > for "website".

                        I think this corresponds to "web presence" in English. Oodles of hits
                        on Google.

                        "Do you think our web presence conveys fairly what this company is
                        all about?" asked Mr. Petalnose, worried that the black and crimson
                        website of his flower shop may not be quite the thing his customers
                        would expect.

                        Tom