TERM: "rádný hospodár"

  • Vladimír Lopata
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
      Nenašepta nekdo anglicky ekvivalent?

      Clenové dozorcí rady jsou povinni vykonavat svou pusobnost s péci rádného
      hospodare".

      Vladimir Lopata

      ---
      Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
    • Michael Trittipo
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003

        >Clenové dozorcí rady jsou povinni vykonavat svou pusobnost s péci rádného
        >hospodare".

        I wouldn't try to find an equivalent two words. Typical phrases in
        English for the same idea are:

        "[care] . . . of a man of ordinary prudence in managing his own affairs."
        http://www.lexum.umontreal.ca/csc-scc/en/pub/1995/vol4/html/1995scr4_0344.html

        "the care which a reasonable and prudent man would use in the conduct of
        his own affairs."
        http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/34feb/flexner.htm

        "the degree of care, diligence and skill to be expected of a reasonable
        and prudent person in the management of his or her own affairs."
        http://bizfriendly.com/newsletter/nm_n_no_s2002.asp

        "Board members should conduct themselves with the level of care, skill,
        and diligence exercised by prudent persons in the handling of his or her
        own affairs."
        http://www.ag.state.oh.us/online_publications/charitable_law/board.htm

        "‘Care’ refers to the pains and perception that a reasonable man would
        apply in handling his own affairs."
        http://www.lemac.co.uk/resources/publication/directors_duties1.html
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
          In a message dated 4/1/03 9:56:34 AM, kzgafas@... writes:

          > > As for who translated it, I don't know - We were supposed to do the
          > > inauguration speech with Melvyn, then it got cancelled and Klaus's
          > office
          > > "did it internally"....
          > >
          > > The two translations have very similar style and that's all I'm
          > going to say
          > > about it....:)

          It just looks like it was done by a native English speaker who is not a good
          writer and not experienced at translating.

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
            I was referring to the inauguration speech and the other piece that's next
            to it - especially the inauguration speech is heavy Czenglish (sentence
            structure and word order and missing verbs every now and then) and, as Melv.
            pointed out, Klaus thinks it great he was voted in "accross the political
            SPECTRE"...:) (at least in the English version)

            > > > As for who translated it, I don't know - We were supposed to do the
            > > > inauguration speech with Melvyn, then it got cancelled and Klaus's
            > > office
            > > > "did it internally"....
            > > >
            > > > The two translations have very similar style and that's all I'm
            > > going to say
            > > > about it....:)
            > >
            > It just looks like it was done by a native English speaker who is not a
            good
            > writer and not experienced at translating.

            > Czechlist resources:

          • Vladimír Lopata
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
              Thanks a lot.

              Vladimir

              ---
              Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
            • kzgafas
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
                --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:
                > It just looks like it was done by a native English speaker who is
                not a good
                > writer and not experienced at translating.
                >
                > Jamie

                Yes, it is done by an NS by the first glance. But, how would you do
                it better? The passage referring to the actual Czech standpoint needs
                to done really exactly to the original (I would say), and it is what
                the translator did.

                Kostas
              • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
                  In a message dated 4/1/03 12:25:15 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

                  > Yes, it is done by an NS by the first glance. But, how would you do
                  > it better? The passage referring to the actual Czech standpoint needs
                  > to done really exactly to the original (I would say), and it is what
                  > the translator did.

                  I would have done it better by not translating some of the Czech collocutions
                  word for word into English, and I would have gotten the verb tenses right.
                  It's got phrases like "I was asked what is...," for example, which is a
                  purely Czech verb sequence, not to mention that the whole sentence follows a
                  Czech and not standard English word order. The whole sentence should have
                  been reworded into natural English with the same meaning.

                  Another strange turn of phrase is this: "We live in a country which has
                  more than long-gone historical experience with war and the suffering which
                  goes hand in hand with it." More than long-gone? That's not English, and
                  it's even a little hard to interpret.

                  When the English is strange sounding or not completely comprehensible, then
                  the meaning is not the same as that in the original, and the translation has
                  not been done exactly to the original.

                  However, we can't be so sure it's the translator's fault. It may have been
                  the dirty deed of whatever Czech took his text and "corrected" it.

                • kzgafas
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
                    --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 4/1/03 12:25:15 PM, kzgafas@t... writes:
                    >

                    > > Yes, it is done by an NS by the first glance. But, how would you
                    do
                    > > it better? The passage referring to the actual Czech standpoint
                    needs
                    > > to done really exactly to the original (I would say), and it is
                    what
                    > > the translator did.
                    > >
                    > I would have done it better by not translating some of the Czech
                    collocutions
                    > word for word into English, and I would have gotten the verb tenses
                    right.
                    > It's got phrases like "I was asked what is...," for example, which
                    is a
                    > purely Czech verb sequence, not to mention that the whole sentence
                    follows a
                    > Czech and not standard English word order. The whole sentence
                    should have
                    > been reworded into natural English with the same meaning.
                    >
                    > Another strange turn of phrase is this: "We live in a country
                    which has
                    > more than long-gone historical experience with war and the
                    suffering which
                    > goes hand in hand with it." More than long-gone? That's not
                    English, and
                    > it's even a little hard to interpret.
                    >
                    > When the English is strange sounding or not completely
                    comprehensible, then
                    > the meaning is not the same as that in the original, and the
                    translation has
                    > not been done exactly to the original.
                    >
                    > However, we can't be so sure it's the translator's fault. It may
                    have been
                    > the dirty deed of whatever Czech took his text and "corrected" it.
                    >
                    > Jamie

                    May I ask you - how would you translate this phrase?:

                    "The Czech Republic takes part in the Operation Enduring Freedom, and
                    our troops are on the ground in Kuwait ready to take humanitarian
                    action if weapons of mass destruction are used."

                    Would you translate it differently? I am curious. (Just if you are
                    not too busy with something else right now.)

                    Kostas
                  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
                      In a message dated 4/1/03 1:45:46 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

                      > May I ask you - how would you translate this phrase?:
                      >
                      > "The Czech Republic takes part in the Operation Enduring Freedom, and
                      > our troops are on the ground in Kuwait ready to take humanitarian
                      > action if weapons of mass destruction are used."
                      >
                      > Would you translate it differently? I am curious. (Just if you are
                      > not too busy with something else right now.)

                      I might say, "The Czech Republic is taking part in Operation Enduring
                      Freedom, and our troops are on the ground in Kuwait ready to take
                      humanitarian action, if weapons of mass destruction are used."

                      All I would have done was to take out "the" before "Operation Enduring
                      Freedom", because it is a name, and putting "the" before it is slightly (not
                      very) reminiscent of a famous Czech we all know calling her husband "the
                      Donald". I changed "takes" to "is taking", because this participation is
                      something that is taking place now, and it's not a habit or a tradition of
                      any kind.

                      When I thought about my comments from earlier today, I decided I should also
                      remind y'all that Czenglish is not written exclusively by Czechs. The first
                      Czech-to-English translations I did, lo those several years ago, seemed okay
                      to me while I was living in a Czech environment in Marianske Lazne --
                      apparently with some of my skills in my native language eroding -- but now
                      they are extremely painful for me to read, because there is so much Czenglish
                      in them.

                    • kzgafas
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                        kzgafas@t... writes:

                        > > May I ask you - how would you translate this phrase?:
                        > >
                        > > "The Czech Republic takes part in the Operation Enduring Freedom,
                        and
                        > > our troops are on the ground in Kuwait ready to take humanitarian
                        > > action if weapons of mass destruction are used."
                        > >
                        > > Would you translate it differently? I am curious. (Just if you are
                        > > not too busy with something else right now.)
                        > >

                        > I might say, "The Czech Republic is taking part in Operation
                        Enduring
                        > Freedom, and our troops are on the ground in Kuwait ready to take
                        > humanitarian action, if weapons of mass destruction are used."

                        Thank you. I was curious whether you would preserve the meaning
                        exactly, or not. I must admit you did.

                        Kostas
                      • cz519441@tiscali.cz
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                          Dobry den,
                          napada Vas nekoho vhodny anglicky vyraz pro tento pozdrav?
                          Dekuji Vam za navrhy.
                          S pozdravem
                          Lenka S.

                          Automaticke hlidani nejlevnejsi letenky ... http://www.steward.tiscali.cz
                        • Dohnalová Kateřina
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                            zdar! (pozdrav); zast. - hail

                            Toto je z online slovniku, a nevim, jestli se to opravdu pouziva ci ne......

                            napada Vas nekoho vhodny anglicky vyraz pro tento pozdrav?
                            Dekuji Vam za navrhy.
                            S pozdravem
                            Lenka S.

                            Czechlist resources:

                            Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

                          • Miluse Saskova-Pierce
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                              here in Nebraska Zdar / Nazdar is still very much in use. The Sokols!

                              Also

                              Here what we are doing in Nebraska. Help us to spread the news. Thank you
                              Mila

                              Lincoln ? Pilsen (Czech Republic) Sister City Ties Established
                              The Czechoslovak Society of Arts and Sciences group founded on the Lincoln
                              UN campus took initiative together with the Mayor of Lincoln Don Wessely
                              and established sister city ties between Lincoln and Pilsen. In 1945
                              Pilsen is an old town in the west of the Czech Republic that was liberated
                              from the Germans by American troupes under the command of general Patton.
                              Several Lincoln citizens, including Verne Lewellen who was a part of the
                              liberation force, will be present in Pilsen during the commemorative
                              ceremonies on May 8, 2003.

                              The Nebraska chapter of the Czechoslovak Society of Arts and Sciences is
                              involved in other projects. Among others, the group is organizing a North
                              American Conference in Cedar Rapids (the site of the National Czech &
                              Slovak Museum) that will take place June 26-28. The two co-chairs of the
                              conference are Mila Saskova-Pierce from the Department of Modern Languages
                              and Cathy Oslzly, Department of Psychology. For information see
                              www.unl.edu/SVUNebraska. The group is also preparing for publication the
                              writings about Czech Nebraska by the late Dr. Vladimir Kucera, a former UNL
                              instructor of the Czech language, and one of the organizers of Czech
                              festivals in Nebraska.

                              Dr. Mila Saskova-Pierce
                              Minor Languages Section Head
                              Department of Modern Languages
                              University of Nebraska at Lincoln
                              NE 68588-0315

                              e-mail: msaskova-pierce1@...

                              Tel: (402) 472 1336
                              Fax: (402) 472 0327

                              Dohnalová Kateřina
                              <Katerina.Dohnalova To: "'Czechlist@yahoogroups.com'"
                              @...> <Czechlist@yahoogroups.com>
                              cc:
                              2003.04.02 09:42 Subject: RE: [Czechlist] ZDAR!
                              Please respond to
                              Czechlist

                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                                Good evening,
                                Zdar is supposed to be the name of one restaurant in Prague. The client
                                wants me to find a good translation for the name. I am going to leave the
                                name as it is and would like to write in brackets the best possible translation
                                to give the English speaking guests an idea. Please!!!

                                For NS - is anyone interested in proofreading the translation (about 3 pages)
                                by Friday morning? If so, please contact me off-list (sukova@...).
                                Thank you.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                                  --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, cz519441@t... wrote:
                                  > Good evening,
                                  > Zdar is supposed to be the name of one restaurant in Prague. The client
                                  > wants me to find a good translation for the name. I am going to leave the
                                  > name as it is and would like to write in brackets the best possible translation
                                  > to give the English speaking guests an idea. Please!!!

                                  My old Bohemian-English dictionary by Karel Jonas suggests:
                                  Success to you! Good luck!

                                  Somebody might come up with a few variations on those themes. 'Hail' is very theatrical and bookish IMO. I notice Millennium also suggests 'good speed', which is probably not a good idea for a restaurant name.

                                  Do well! Win through!

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                                    > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, cz519441@t... wrote:
                                    > > Good evening,
                                    > > Zdar is supposed to be the name of one restaurant in Prague. The client
                                    > > wants me to find a good translation for the name. I am going to leave the
                                    > > name as it is and would like to write in brackets the best possible translation
                                    > > to give the English speaking guests an idea. Please!!!

                                    I suppose you could also just ignore the original meaning and look at 'zdar' as a general-purpose greeting, in which case it could be said to play the role of 'cheers' (= 'nazdar' inter alia - HH). Perhaps it is not an accurate translation but it sounds a bit more welcoming than 'good speed'. :-)

                                    M.
                                  • cz519441@tiscali.cz
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                                      >I suppose you could also just ignore the original meaning and look at 'zdar'
                                      >as a general-purpose greeting, in which case it could be said to play the
                                      >role of 'cheers' (= 'nazdar' inter alia - HH). Perhaps it is not an accurate
                                      >translation but it sounds a bit more welcoming than 'good speed'. :-)

                                      Indeed it does.
                                      Thank you, Melvyn.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                                        Thank you very much, Melvyn, I will go through the suggestions tonight after
                                        I return home from lectures and suggest something to the client.
                                        Have a good day.
                                        Lenka S.