CHAT: letter to Bush

  • kzgafas
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
      I was able to find only the Czech version of the recent Vaclav Klaus´
      letter sent to George Bush. Does anyone know about the English
      version? Is it anywhere on the web? Or, is the translator a member of
      this group? I am curious to see it.
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
        See:

        http://www.hrad.cz/president/Klaus/speeches/index_uk.html

        (Not sure if it's the thing you're after).

        As for who translated it, I don't know - We were supposed to do the
        inauguration speech with Melvyn, then it got cancelled and Klaus's office
        "did it internally"....

        The two translations have very similar style and that's all I'm going to say
        about it....:)

        > I was able to find only the Czech version of the recent Vaclav Klaus´
        > letter sent to George Bush. Does anyone know about the English
        > version? Is it anywhere on the web? Or, is the translator a member of
        > this group? I am curious to see it.

        > Czechlist resources:

      • kzgafas
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
          The letter has just been uploaded here:

          http://www.hrad.cz/kpr/oznameni/index_uk.html

          K.

          > See:
          >
          > http://www.hrad.cz/president/Klaus/speeches/index_uk.html
          >
          > (Not sure if it's the thing you're after).
          >
          > As for who translated it, I don't know - We were supposed to do the
          > inauguration speech with Melvyn, then it got cancelled and Klaus's
          office
          > "did it internally"....
          >
          > The two translations have very similar style and that's all I'm
          going to say
          > about it....:)

        • Vladimír Lopata
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
            Nenašepta nekdo anglicky ekvivalent?

            Clenové dozorcí rady jsou povinni vykonavat svou pusobnost s péci rádného
            hospodare".

            Vladimir Lopata

            ---
            Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
          • Michael Trittipo
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003

              >Clenové dozorcí rady jsou povinni vykonavat svou pusobnost s péci rádného
              >hospodare".

              I wouldn't try to find an equivalent two words. Typical phrases in
              English for the same idea are:

              "[care] . . . of a man of ordinary prudence in managing his own affairs."
              http://www.lexum.umontreal.ca/csc-scc/en/pub/1995/vol4/html/1995scr4_0344.html

              "the care which a reasonable and prudent man would use in the conduct of
              his own affairs."
              http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/34feb/flexner.htm

              "the degree of care, diligence and skill to be expected of a reasonable
              and prudent person in the management of his or her own affairs."
              http://bizfriendly.com/newsletter/nm_n_no_s2002.asp

              "Board members should conduct themselves with the level of care, skill,
              and diligence exercised by prudent persons in the handling of his or her
              own affairs."
              http://www.ag.state.oh.us/online_publications/charitable_law/board.htm

              "‘Care’ refers to the pains and perception that a reasonable man would
              apply in handling his own affairs."
              http://www.lemac.co.uk/resources/publication/directors_duties1.html
            • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
                In a message dated 4/1/03 9:56:34 AM, kzgafas@... writes:

                > > As for who translated it, I don't know - We were supposed to do the
                > > inauguration speech with Melvyn, then it got cancelled and Klaus's
                > office
                > > "did it internally"....
                > >
                > > The two translations have very similar style and that's all I'm
                > going to say
                > > about it....:)

                It just looks like it was done by a native English speaker who is not a good
                writer and not experienced at translating.

                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
                  I was referring to the inauguration speech and the other piece that's next
                  to it - especially the inauguration speech is heavy Czenglish (sentence
                  structure and word order and missing verbs every now and then) and, as Melv.
                  pointed out, Klaus thinks it great he was voted in "accross the political
                  SPECTRE"...:) (at least in the English version)

                  > > > As for who translated it, I don't know - We were supposed to do the
                  > > > inauguration speech with Melvyn, then it got cancelled and Klaus's
                  > > office
                  > > > "did it internally"....
                  > > >
                  > > > The two translations have very similar style and that's all I'm
                  > > going to say
                  > > > about it....:)
                  > >
                  > It just looks like it was done by a native English speaker who is not a
                  good
                  > writer and not experienced at translating.

                  > Czechlist resources:

                • Vladimír Lopata
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
                    Thanks a lot.

                    Vladimir

                    ---
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
                      --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:
                      > It just looks like it was done by a native English speaker who is
                      not a good
                      > writer and not experienced at translating.
                      >
                      > Jamie

                      Yes, it is done by an NS by the first glance. But, how would you do
                      it better? The passage referring to the actual Czech standpoint needs
                      to done really exactly to the original (I would say), and it is what
                      the translator did.

                      Kostas
                    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
                        In a message dated 4/1/03 12:25:15 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

                        > Yes, it is done by an NS by the first glance. But, how would you do
                        > it better? The passage referring to the actual Czech standpoint needs
                        > to done really exactly to the original (I would say), and it is what
                        > the translator did.

                        I would have done it better by not translating some of the Czech collocutions
                        word for word into English, and I would have gotten the verb tenses right.
                        It's got phrases like "I was asked what is...," for example, which is a
                        purely Czech verb sequence, not to mention that the whole sentence follows a
                        Czech and not standard English word order. The whole sentence should have
                        been reworded into natural English with the same meaning.

                        Another strange turn of phrase is this: "We live in a country which has
                        more than long-gone historical experience with war and the suffering which
                        goes hand in hand with it." More than long-gone? That's not English, and
                        it's even a little hard to interpret.

                        When the English is strange sounding or not completely comprehensible, then
                        the meaning is not the same as that in the original, and the translation has
                        not been done exactly to the original.

                        However, we can't be so sure it's the translator's fault. It may have been
                        the dirty deed of whatever Czech took his text and "corrected" it.

                      • kzgafas
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
                          --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

                          > In a message dated 4/1/03 12:25:15 PM, kzgafas@t... writes:
                          >

                          > > Yes, it is done by an NS by the first glance. But, how would you
                          do
                          > > it better? The passage referring to the actual Czech standpoint
                          needs
                          > > to done really exactly to the original (I would say), and it is
                          what
                          > > the translator did.
                          > >
                          > I would have done it better by not translating some of the Czech
                          collocutions
                          > word for word into English, and I would have gotten the verb tenses
                          right.
                          > It's got phrases like "I was asked what is...," for example, which
                          is a
                          > purely Czech verb sequence, not to mention that the whole sentence
                          follows a
                          > Czech and not standard English word order. The whole sentence
                          should have
                          > been reworded into natural English with the same meaning.
                          >
                          > Another strange turn of phrase is this: "We live in a country
                          which has
                          > more than long-gone historical experience with war and the
                          suffering which
                          > goes hand in hand with it." More than long-gone? That's not
                          English, and
                          > it's even a little hard to interpret.
                          >
                          > When the English is strange sounding or not completely
                          comprehensible, then
                          > the meaning is not the same as that in the original, and the
                          translation has
                          > not been done exactly to the original.
                          >
                          > However, we can't be so sure it's the translator's fault. It may
                          have been
                          > the dirty deed of whatever Czech took his text and "corrected" it.
                          >
                          > Jamie

                          May I ask you - how would you translate this phrase?:

                          "The Czech Republic takes part in the Operation Enduring Freedom, and
                          our troops are on the ground in Kuwait ready to take humanitarian
                          action if weapons of mass destruction are used."

                          Would you translate it differently? I am curious. (Just if you are
                          not too busy with something else right now.)

                          Kostas
                        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 1, 2003
                            In a message dated 4/1/03 1:45:46 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

                            > May I ask you - how would you translate this phrase?:
                            >
                            > "The Czech Republic takes part in the Operation Enduring Freedom, and
                            > our troops are on the ground in Kuwait ready to take humanitarian
                            > action if weapons of mass destruction are used."
                            >
                            > Would you translate it differently? I am curious. (Just if you are
                            > not too busy with something else right now.)

                            I might say, "The Czech Republic is taking part in Operation Enduring
                            Freedom, and our troops are on the ground in Kuwait ready to take
                            humanitarian action, if weapons of mass destruction are used."

                            All I would have done was to take out "the" before "Operation Enduring
                            Freedom", because it is a name, and putting "the" before it is slightly (not
                            very) reminiscent of a famous Czech we all know calling her husband "the
                            Donald". I changed "takes" to "is taking", because this participation is
                            something that is taking place now, and it's not a habit or a tradition of
                            any kind.

                            When I thought about my comments from earlier today, I decided I should also
                            remind y'all that Czenglish is not written exclusively by Czechs. The first
                            Czech-to-English translations I did, lo those several years ago, seemed okay
                            to me while I was living in a Czech environment in Marianske Lazne --
                            apparently with some of my skills in my native language eroding -- but now
                            they are extremely painful for me to read, because there is so much Czenglish
                            in them.

                          • kzgafas
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                              kzgafas@t... writes:

                              > > May I ask you - how would you translate this phrase?:
                              > >
                              > > "The Czech Republic takes part in the Operation Enduring Freedom,
                              and
                              > > our troops are on the ground in Kuwait ready to take humanitarian
                              > > action if weapons of mass destruction are used."
                              > >
                              > > Would you translate it differently? I am curious. (Just if you are
                              > > not too busy with something else right now.)
                              > >

                              > I might say, "The Czech Republic is taking part in Operation
                              Enduring
                              > Freedom, and our troops are on the ground in Kuwait ready to take
                              > humanitarian action, if weapons of mass destruction are used."

                              Thank you. I was curious whether you would preserve the meaning
                              exactly, or not. I must admit you did.

                              Kostas
                            • cz519441@tiscali.cz
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                                Dobry den,
                                napada Vas nekoho vhodny anglicky vyraz pro tento pozdrav?
                                Dekuji Vam za navrhy.
                                S pozdravem
                                Lenka S.

                                Automaticke hlidani nejlevnejsi letenky ... http://www.steward.tiscali.cz
                              • Dohnalová Kateřina
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                                  zdar! (pozdrav); zast. - hail

                                  Toto je z online slovniku, a nevim, jestli se to opravdu pouziva ci ne......

                                  napada Vas nekoho vhodny anglicky vyraz pro tento pozdrav?
                                  Dekuji Vam za navrhy.
                                  S pozdravem
                                  Lenka S.

                                  Czechlist resources:

                                  Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

                                • Miluse Saskova-Pierce
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                                    here in Nebraska Zdar / Nazdar is still very much in use. The Sokols!

                                    Also

                                    Here what we are doing in Nebraska. Help us to spread the news. Thank you
                                    Mila

                                    Lincoln ? Pilsen (Czech Republic) Sister City Ties Established
                                    The Czechoslovak Society of Arts and Sciences group founded on the Lincoln
                                    UN campus took initiative together with the Mayor of Lincoln Don Wessely
                                    and established sister city ties between Lincoln and Pilsen. In 1945
                                    Pilsen is an old town in the west of the Czech Republic that was liberated
                                    from the Germans by American troupes under the command of general Patton.
                                    Several Lincoln citizens, including Verne Lewellen who was a part of the
                                    liberation force, will be present in Pilsen during the commemorative
                                    ceremonies on May 8, 2003.

                                    The Nebraska chapter of the Czechoslovak Society of Arts and Sciences is
                                    involved in other projects. Among others, the group is organizing a North
                                    American Conference in Cedar Rapids (the site of the National Czech &
                                    Slovak Museum) that will take place June 26-28. The two co-chairs of the
                                    conference are Mila Saskova-Pierce from the Department of Modern Languages
                                    and Cathy Oslzly, Department of Psychology. For information see
                                    www.unl.edu/SVUNebraska. The group is also preparing for publication the
                                    writings about Czech Nebraska by the late Dr. Vladimir Kucera, a former UNL
                                    instructor of the Czech language, and one of the organizers of Czech
                                    festivals in Nebraska.

                                    Dr. Mila Saskova-Pierce
                                    Minor Languages Section Head
                                    Department of Modern Languages
                                    University of Nebraska at Lincoln
                                    NE 68588-0315

                                    e-mail: msaskova-pierce1@...

                                    Tel: (402) 472 1336
                                    Fax: (402) 472 0327

                                    Dohnalová Kateřina
                                    <Katerina.Dohnalova To: "'Czechlist@yahoogroups.com'"
                                    @...> <Czechlist@yahoogroups.com>
                                    cc:
                                    2003.04.02 09:42 Subject: RE: [Czechlist] ZDAR!
                                    Please respond to
                                    Czechlist

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                                      Good evening,
                                      Zdar is supposed to be the name of one restaurant in Prague. The client
                                      wants me to find a good translation for the name. I am going to leave the
                                      name as it is and would like to write in brackets the best possible translation
                                      to give the English speaking guests an idea. Please!!!

                                      For NS - is anyone interested in proofreading the translation (about 3 pages)
                                      by Friday morning? If so, please contact me off-list (sukova@...).
                                      Thank you.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                                        --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, cz519441@t... wrote:
                                        > Good evening,
                                        > Zdar is supposed to be the name of one restaurant in Prague. The client
                                        > wants me to find a good translation for the name. I am going to leave the
                                        > name as it is and would like to write in brackets the best possible translation
                                        > to give the English speaking guests an idea. Please!!!

                                        My old Bohemian-English dictionary by Karel Jonas suggests:
                                        Success to you! Good luck!

                                        Somebody might come up with a few variations on those themes. 'Hail' is very theatrical and bookish IMO. I notice Millennium also suggests 'good speed', which is probably not a good idea for a restaurant name.

                                        Do well! Win through!

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                                          > --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, cz519441@t... wrote:
                                          > > Good evening,
                                          > > Zdar is supposed to be the name of one restaurant in Prague. The client
                                          > > wants me to find a good translation for the name. I am going to leave the
                                          > > name as it is and would like to write in brackets the best possible translation
                                          > > to give the English speaking guests an idea. Please!!!

                                          I suppose you could also just ignore the original meaning and look at 'zdar' as a general-purpose greeting, in which case it could be said to play the role of 'cheers' (= 'nazdar' inter alia - HH). Perhaps it is not an accurate translation but it sounds a bit more welcoming than 'good speed'. :-)

                                          M.
                                        • cz519441@tiscali.cz
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                                            >I suppose you could also just ignore the original meaning and look at 'zdar'
                                            >as a general-purpose greeting, in which case it could be said to play the
                                            >role of 'cheers' (= 'nazdar' inter alia - HH). Perhaps it is not an accurate
                                            >translation but it sounds a bit more welcoming than 'good speed'. :-)

                                            Indeed it does.
                                            Thank you, Melvyn.

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Apr 2, 2003
                                              Thank you very much, Melvyn, I will go through the suggestions tonight after
                                              I return home from lectures and suggest something to the client.
                                              Have a good day.
                                              Lenka S.