Re: Please help me with a company's slogan

  • Dusan Papousek
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
      A big company selling high-quality products (electronics, chemistry, precise machinery) wants me to translate the following slogan (plus many other things):

      "My myslime na budoucnost, myslete s nami".

      I am not good on things like that, could you please tell me what do you think about the following attempt to translate this slogan?

      "We are thinking about (the?) future, think with us".

      By the way, "zakaznicka karta" is "customer's card" ?

      Thanks to all...

      D. P.

    • Tomás Skront
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
        I am sure that native speakers will come up with some excellent ideas, but I
        would like to add my own as well:

        "Future is all we are thinking about. Please join us."

        T.S.

        > A big company selling high-quality products (electronics, chemistry,
        precise machinery) wants me to translate the following slogan (plus many
        other things):

        > "My myslime na budoucnost, myslete s nami".
        >
        > I am not good on things like that, could you please tell me what do you
        think about the following attempt to translate this slogan?

        > "We are thinking about (the?) future, think with us".
        >

        > By the way, "zakaznicka karta" is "customer's card" ?
        >
        > Thanks to all...

        D. P.

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
          Hi Dusan,

          > "My myslime na budoucnost, myslete s nami".

          I'd make it something like "Join us thinking about (the) future."

          The article is optional with no big deal of difference here, I suppose.

          I also think that some bolder alternatives to "thinking about" could be found,
          but I'm not very good at anything this close to poetry either.

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
            We've got future on our minds, put it on yours

            .. come to think of it, I'd suggest some re-wording, how about:

            We count on future, count on us...

            ??

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > Czechlist resources:

          • Alena Ockova
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
              --- Dusan Papousek <Papousek@...> wrote: > A
              big company selling high-quality products

              > By the way, "zakaznicka karta" is "customer's card"

              loyalty card, customer card, store card, "XY=company
              name" card ...

              BR
              Alena

              Yahoo! Plus
              For a better Internet experience
              http://www.yahoo.co.uk/btoffer
            • Simon Vollam
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
                > "We are thinking about (the?) future, think with us".

                It's not too bad, but it needs editing:
                "We're thinking about the future. Think with us."

                > > "My myslime na budoucnost, myslete s nami".
                >
                > I'd make it something like "Join us thinking about (the) future."

                I quite like the "join us" suggestion. How about: "We're looking to the
                future. Join us."?
                Others may have more inspiration.

                > The article is optional with no big deal of difference here, I suppose.

                Never underestimate an article. The definite article is definitely needed
                here.

                Simon
              • Dorie Cavey
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
                  What about: "We are looking ahead to the future. Come with us or join us or
                  something? " You must use the article.
                  > A big company selling high-quality products (electronics, chemistry,
                  precise machinery) wants me to translate the following slogan (plus many
                  other things):

                  > "My myslime na budoucnost, myslete s nami".
                  >
                  > I am not good on things like that, could you please tell me what do you
                  think about the following attempt to translate this slogan?

                  > "We are thinking about (the?) future, think with us".
                  >

                  > By the way, "zakaznicka karta" is "customer's card" ?
                  >
                  > Thanks to all...

                  D. P.

                  > Czechlist resources:

                • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
                    How about something like:

                    We are looking to the future. Don't get left behind...

                    Just a thought

                    Coilin
                  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
                      In a message dated 4/1/03 9:23:47 AM, dcavey@... writes:

                      > What about: "We are looking ahead to the future.

                      Better: "We look to the future."
                      "We are looking ahead to the future," is too long and redundant for a slogan.

                      You'd probably be better not to slavishly follow the original wording of the
                      slogan and just composing something short and snappy. I think a better
                      slogan than any of those translations would be:

                      "Join us in the future."

                      That's more like what a slogan would sound like in a country where people
                      whiz by in cars and don't have half an hour on the metro to look at the sign.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 1, 2003
                        From: "Dusan Papousek" <Papousek@...>

                        New idea. What about: "We care about future. Think about yours!"

                        Article, old sport, article. :-)

                        Melvyn
                        ---
                        We're thinking ahead. Are you with us?